Water pump separation from Fan

Old 10-17-10, 11:41 AM
Water pump separation from Fan

I have a 2001 dodge dakota sport with 4 w d and a 3.9 engine.
I am going to change my water pump but I don't know how to get the fan and clutch off of the water pump.

I'm sorry I did not say this right ... What i want to do is remove the fan-clutch assembly from the water pump, not separate the fan from the clutch. There is a a very large nut that I have to loosen but the body of the fan moves with the fan and so will not loosen unless i stop that from happening.

Thanks,
Nate

Last edited by tbrownarcher; 10-17-10 at 12:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-10, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
If it's the same as my old 96...its a royal PITA. It's been a while...but I had to take it off to change something and it seems like I needed to buy a 1 7/16" open end wrench to get it off. The fan clutch screws on to the WP pulley...strap wrench on the pulley and the open end on the fan clutch nut.

Durn wrench cost about $25 or so...Sears was the only place that had one, an adjustable wouldn't fit.

Don't remember if it was RH or LH thread.

Old 10-17-10, 12:31 PM
similar but i need to keep the fan from turning while I am extracting the nut on this one a crescent works but too the price is 25 dollars ... I just can't stop the fan from turning with the nut

thanks,
Nate

Old 10-17-10, 06:00 PM
ok....

I usually use an air hammer with a pointed punch on one of the "Edges" of the hex....It burps right off....

Since the tool cost is an issue, I guess buying an air compressor is "Out of the question HUH??

It can be removed with the crescent wrench and a Hammer... remove the serpentine belt completely... Loop it around the water pump pulley, pull both ends up tightly, and fold them over the A/C compressor. Have an assistant hold the belt in place to keep tension on it. Put the crescent wrench on the nut, and Smck it with the hammer.....(Yes it is right hand thread, unless stamped otherwise on the fan shroud, Which are only some of the canadian built vehicles only)..... Just make sure you put it on the same way.....Smack it ON as well.

Old 10-18-10, 11:49 AM
Nah! the comment about price of the crescent was only because he mentioned the price of the open end wrench.. I already bought a Crescent for $25. Couldn't find a Open end at sears so I bought the Crescent.

I love the idea of the air hammer and also the the fan belt thing. I knew there would be someone with intenuity. Thanks a bunch

Thanks,
Nate

Old 10-18-10, 03:30 PM
Working for years as a "Flat-Rate" tech...That pump only paid 7/10ths of an hour (42 minutes).

If they really thought I was going to fight with a fan clutch for an hour , they were nuts.

Old 10-18-10, 05:49 PM
lol i understand.! I spent about 5-6 hrs on the whole thing but i got it ......drove it to the Belview exit and back and no leaks .....

Ty,
Nate