V10 motor and transmission

Old 11-30-10, 06:56 PM
V10 motor and transmission

I am having issues with my transmission on my 2000 rv. It is a v10 engine with what I think is a 4r100 tran. It will start losing speed when overdrive is off and towing a car. When this happens it will not let you speed up but will let the rpm accelerate. After setting a little it will work fine and then start again. Now it is working fine after setting for an hour and is towing a car with overdrive on. Canít smell anything and fluid looks good. Does anyone have any ideas; my son says it might be the valve body. Had it in a shop and without even looking at it they said it needs to be replaced at the cost of $4000.00.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-10, 06:41 AM
Group Moderator
Of course they could be right, but I would tend to shy away from a shop that would make that judgment without even looking at it. Does the tranny get regular servicing - fluid and filter - and how many miles on the vehicle?

Old 12-01-10, 05:30 PM
fo answeringr

there is 36,000 on it and i had it serviced at 31000 two years ago. we just drove from Hattiesburg Ms to Tallahassee Fl today and no problem except when going up hill i would take it out of overdrive and after that turn it back on. after that for awhile the off lite started to blink so i stopped and turned the engine off and back on it stopped. so i drove with overdrive on the rest of the way and things worked fine.

Old 12-05-10, 10:11 AM
Group Moderator
I think I would hunt up a good independent tranny shop (one who will actually look at it, put some test equipment on, and test drive it) to get a better idea what's going on. You don't appear to put a lot of miles on it and/or be abusing it, so perhaps it's something simple or at least cheaper than $4000 to fix. Just off the top of my head I wouldn't be surprised to find out you could get your tranny rebuilt (if actually necessary) for about half that.

Probably a good idea to have a scan done to read codes; AutoZone and some others will do it for free, but be careful about jumping to conclusions based on their computer printout of likely causes.

Old 01-25-11, 09:54 PM
Had a well respected trany company in Savannah Ga run test and all they found was it had over heated once at least. So he wanted to take it apart and find out what was wrong. Well I decided to drive home to Arkansas. What happens next might help others. The same problem started again in Mississippi, it started to slip again plus it was raining. I came across a repair shop off I20 at exit 160. They took a test drive and found the problem. The air filter was wet and sucked up to plug the air intake tube. There are two holes on the side of the air filter tank so what they thought was the water through the grill was filling the tank with water. Thought about it and everytime this happened it was raining. They changed the filter and we drove off with no other problems.