2001 Dodge Ram Cummins 5.9 diesel

Old 12-02-10, 03:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
2001 Dodge Ram Cummins 5.9 diesel

Well, you brag on your truck so long and it will happen to you, too. I stopped my truck near my shop one day, went back to start it and it fired for about 3 seconds, then died. Stayed dead.
I have run all the diagnostic tests I can think of to determine the cause. At the least I was hoping for a failed Engine Control Module ($500), and the worst fear was the injector pump ($1500).
Codes: P0380 and P0382 indicating the heating grids are not working
P1689 which points to no communication from ECM to Injector Pump.
Full voltage at pin 7 and good ground on pin 6 of injector connector.
Hot wired injector + to pin 7 and - to pin 6 directly to battery. No start.
Any one have an idea or bad news for me? I am sure it is the VP44 pump.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-10, 02:34 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did all those codes set at the same time? If yes Iím going to say to double and triple check all your grounds. Also jiggle some harnesses around. I no longer have access to tsbís and recalls, but I remember reading something about the VP that involved the dealer. May have been a reflash but can't remember for sure. Check with a dealer to be sure. Make sure you have your vin number when checking with the dealer. Check the VP as per below.

VP44 Dodge Pump Installation Instructions

Old 12-03-10, 06:47 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
P1689 and P0216 came up when it first decided to die on me. P0380 came up after I cleared the codes and tried cranking it. Before I replace the VP, I plan on removing and replacing all grounds to make sure the ECM isn't messing things up.
MWFI is where my diesel mechanic suggested getting the VP from. No shipping, no tax, no core if returned in 30 days.
I watched the R&R videos and I think I can do it myself, but after talking with my mechanic, his charge is $350......sold. It would take me a week in the cold outside, while he can do it in a day inside, nice an toasty.
I'll check with the dealer, though. Thanks for the info.