1989 Ford Ranger Repair

Old 12-20-10, 01:46 PM
1989 Ford Ranger Repair

Guys,

My old (190,000) 89 Ranger is slowly falling apart but I still like it and intend to drive it until it nothing works anymore. The latest problem is that the driverís side window will not roll up and down anymore and the driver's side door handle just stopped working. So, I have to exit the passengerís side when I drive it causing endless abuse by family and friends.

I need to take the door apart and repair the window and handle. How do you go about doing this? Can someone help me with this or point me in the right direction? Is there a document or manual that gives instructions on these tyupes of repairs somewhere?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-10, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
That's the type of repair work that is often not shown in repair manuals short of a factory one. Door panels are pretty easy to get off, just a little tedious. First you have to remove any visible screws that are holding on things like the armrest. The window crank also has to come off. There is a small clip on the underside that releases it. There is a special tool to accomplish this that can be found at most parts stores and it's pretty cheap. It can also be done with a screwdriver. After all screws are out that you can find, the door panel itself is separated from the door by popping the two surfaces apart. They are suually held together with simple push-in connectors of some kind. You can get leverage to separate them with a good stiff putty knife inserted in the gap or there is a tool for doing that also, kind of a reverse-pliers kind of rig. I'll see if I can find some links to post.

Old 12-20-10, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Okay, here's some video:

YouTube - 1AAuto.com Install Remove Door Panel Ford Ranger 1993-2010

I didn't view the entire clip and I notice he's doing one with power windows, but this will probably give you some general guidance.

The door handle problem is probably just a disconnected rod, the window's probably more involved.

Old 12-21-10, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the help! That looks like something I can do.
Pete

Old 12-24-10, 09:56 AM
Good Repair Manual

I had a '93 Ranger for many years and the best book I ever got was the Haynes Repair Manual. This taught me how to take apart and fix anything with that truck. Here's a link to your book.

Ford Ranger & Bronco II Repair Manual covering all models 2WD & 4WD with a gasoline engine for 1983 thru 1992

Hope this helps!
- Andrew

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 12-24-10 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Signature link removed.