Fifth wheel camper water heater tank

Old 12-29-10, 03:47 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fifth wheel camper water heater tank

i have to remove my cracked 6 gal water heater tank this spring and put a good one in. How hard is that going to be for me. I have the Atwood tank. Anyone know that has done one??

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-10, 04:45 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Before starting, shut off water, and propane. Shut off any breakers,switches and pull fuses if electronic ignition and disconnect wiring at rear. ( if you have hydro operation and/or electronic ignition) . Make note of where they connect for re-assembly. (here's where a few digital pictures may be of value before starting to help when re-assembling) Disconnect propane line, and plug it immediately with 3/8" male flare plug (usually) . If you have low point drain lines outside under trailer, remove plugs from them as well and allow lines to drain out so as to eliminate/minimize any water running out of lines when they are disconnected from heater. Remove water lines from heater. Now outside, remove clips holding cover on and get that out of your way. Remove all screws (usually Red Robertson, or 1/4" hex heads) around perimeter. Now you may have to pry a little to get flanges away from trailer as there is usually putty or butyl tape sealing it against trailer. Once seal starts to let go, simply pull and wiggle water heater out of the hole. If your just replacing tank, there's a little more to it when you have to disassemble and re-assemble parts from old tank to new. Personally, if it's got a few years on it, and gas control,pressure relief etc is due to be replaced soon, I just explain to customer that a complete new tank (already assembled with all new parts) is a better idea. A little more money now, but saves all the labor charges of switching things over, as well as returning a month later to replace a failing gas control etc. Then it's just a matter of out with the old , clean surfaces and apply new putty, and install new one. Be sure to bubble test connection at propane lines and fittings properly, as well as double check wiring is proper, re-connect water lines, plug any open drain lines and fill it, before turning any hydro etc back on. Check for any leaks. Here's a link to atwood service manual PDF download for your reference which might come in handy, now or in future. (http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf ) Good Luck.