Early 70's split rims for one ton pick up

Old 01-06-11, 07:45 PM
Early 70's split rims for one ton pick up

Can any one help me out with this question. My '72 Chevy C30 has split rims but I'm not exactly sure what a split rim is. I was told that I can interchange wheels from a 73-87 one ton by simply bolting them on and no other modifications required. These wheels are conventional wheels that any tire shop can service and opens up the selection of radial tires you can choose from.Split rims pose a hazard to someone not familiar with them and require tubes in the tires. So, on the 73-87 wheels, are the rear axle wheels specific for their use or are all the wheels on the vehicle identical and can be interchanged? Can I theoritically mount one of the steering wheels on the rear axle. I found 73-87 wheels locally, but I want to be sure before I buy them. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-11, 03:41 AM
A DIY'er shouldn't mess with split rims at all. Some tire shop guys have been hurt badly with them. You used to see them a lot more on the large trucks.

The configuration is pretty simple. The main part is a hat shape with a groove at the top of the stove pipe. You throw the tire/tube on it with the valve stem in the stem slot, and push a large snap ring on after the tire to hold everything in place while it airs. The snap ring has a downward flange to go inside the bead of the tire. That flange keeps the snap ring in the groove after the airing is complete.

The danger of them is the snap ring blowing off while it's being aired. That snap ring is the problem. Let the guys that handle them do them.

The hubs, as I remember aren't special vs standard tubeless tire rims.

Old 01-07-11, 03:53 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, for sure you can use a modern one piece rim on your truck.
Yours is most likely a 16" or 16.5", 8 bolt pattern.
Just be careful, harder to come by and harder now to get tires for the 16.5" rim is not interchangeable with the 16".

Old 01-07-11, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the information guys. The wheels that are currently on the truck are the factory 16" split rims. I'm looking to get the 16" one piece that accepts radial 16" tires thereby making it easier to buy and service the wheels/tires. So, is there a distinguishable difference between the front(steering) wheels and the rear(drive) wheels? Or are they interchangeable? Thanks

Old 01-08-11, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, for sure you can use a modern one piece rim on your truck.

Old 01-08-11, 03:45 AM
Group Moderator
Used to have a '70 Ford F250 when we owned horses. Had 16.5 split rims when we bought it; quickly bought some aftermarket 16" regular rims and tires for it.

Old 01-08-11, 12:23 PM
Split rims

The tire shops in my area refused to work on them many years ago. Replace them.

Old 01-08-11, 02:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I believe it was in the late 80's they banned certain types of those split rims. I don't remember if it was a national law or just local [florida] While the rims are safe if mounted or unmounted properly with the right tools - they can be deadly if worked on incorrectly!

Old 01-08-11, 02:20 PM
Thanks for all the input. As mentioned by a few on this thread, split rims can be a pain to service. Need to ditch mine and upgrade to the one-piece design. thanks