vibration

Old 01-19-11, 12:52 PM
vibration

I have a 94 Dodge Dakota, v6, 3.9 ltr., 2 wheel drive, 5 spd. manual. It had broken motor mounts and transmission mount, I changed those, and the u-joints, then a few months later, I noticed a vibration, I noticed the driveshaft had lost a weight, I took the driveshaft and front slip yoke in to be balanced, they said the slip yoke was shot, they put a new one on, then balanced the shaft. Well, it's better, but their is still vibration, doesn't seem to vibrate when I push in on the clutch, (under no load). I'm wondering if the differential yoke has gotten warped, or something to do with the clutch plate, throwout bearing, or flywheel ? Got any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-11, 04:41 AM
Hello !? Any ideas ? Still trying to figure out this vibration.

Old 01-20-11, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Don't really have an idea...but could you clarify something? When you push in the clutch, do you keep the engine revs up? Does the vibration seem to occur more at a certain vehicle speed or at a certain engine RPM?

Vehicle speed would narrow it to one of the things that's rotating when moving (driveline, tires, wheels), RPM related would be engine and clutch assy.

Old 01-20-11, 01:53 PM
Thanks! I think it's more RPM related. That'll give me food for thought. I recently put in a double roller timing chain, and since then, the motor seems a little bit more labored!? Don't know what's up with that!?

Old 01-21-11, 04:39 AM
Any ideas, or thoughts about this?

Old 01-21-11, 11:08 AM
Since it seems to be rpm related, i'm guessing you've thrown off a segment of the clutch disc lining. Removal of the bottom clutch cover would reveal this as the pieces would be lying there.
As for the engine laboring, you may not have the cam in time w/ the crankshaft.
Hth,
mike

Old 01-21-11, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Good thoughts Mike...though I've never experienced that. I would think revving the engine at a stop while depressing the clutch would eliminate that as the disk wouldn't be spinning? Maybe a broken spring or balancing weight thrown off the pressure plate assy?

I'd have to agree the clutch would be the first area I'd be looking at if its RPM related.

Old 01-21-11, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys! I'll do some more investigating!