1998 f150 4.2l

Old 02-17-11, 03:16 PM
1998 f150 4.2l

Hi,,

Just recently bought a 1998 f150 with a blown engine. I'm trying to figure out where and how I can get a replacement engine that will be cost efficient and will be of good quality. I've read about re manufactured engines and crate engines are these engines the same or better than getting one from a junk yard.

thanks

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-11, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Remanufactured are good. Its a stock motor.

Junk yard you dont knoe what your getting. Its good if rebuilding yourself.

Crate engines are expensive. Ridiculously expensive. Geared to high performance.

Your engine reman 1700 - 500 core = 1200. Good to own something old

Heres a example. TX based company I hear is good from friends but never used them

Ford Truck Remanufactured, Rebuilt Truck Engines. Remanufactured, Rebuilt Replacement Engines and Motors - Roadmaster Engine World

Mike NJ

Old 02-17-11, 04:54 PM
Lawrosa,,

You sure are a jack of all trades. lol... just so you know still waiting on tax returns to do water work...

I'll pm you on truck questions if you dont mind..

Old 02-18-11, 10:12 AM
just contacted them. You have to add 500 to the price since they are discounting the price of the core from the posted price. Shipping is not free. Total for the long block was $2300 which is far more than I wanted to spend..

Old 02-18-11, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
You say it's blown...but are we talking hole in the block or head type blown....or bad bearings type blown? Buying a complete engine and swapping is easier...but not always cheaper.

Also, a junkyard engine with a warranty (even 30 or 90 days) might be a good deal. If theres something seriously wrong, you'd know petty quickly. A simple inspection can tell you a lot.

Old 02-18-11, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
You say it's blown...but are we talking hole in the block or head type blown....or bad bearings type blown? Buying a complete engine and swapping is easier...but not always cheaper.

Also, a junkyard engine with a warranty (even 30 or 90 days) might be a good deal. If theres something seriously wrong, you'd know petty quickly. A simple inspection can tell you a lot.

I believe the engine is actually locked. I turned over once then it seized. I keep reading about the hydralock issue with that years model. I'm just figuring out what my options are since the body is in good condition and I only paid $1000 for it. Not sure If i should spend the money on engine or just get rid of the truck... Another issue is finding a reputable installer, I would like to attempt the install myself but I think I'll be way over my head with this.

Old 02-23-11, 06:45 PM
Your not ready to buy a new engine yet. You dont know what the problem is with the engine you have.
If it's locked, pull the plugs and see if the Lock goes away.

When you know why it wont...whatever, then pull the engine and take a look at the heads, and the Crank.

Hydro lock is caused by a bad gasket. If there's no bent the Rods, the gasket is all you have to deal with.

Old 02-24-11, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by hoary View Post
Your not ready to buy a new engine yet. You dont know what the problem is with the engine you have.
If it's locked, pull the plugs and see if the Lock goes away.

When you know why it wont...whatever, then pull the engine and take a look at the heads, and the Crank.

Hydro lock is caused by a bad gasket. If there's no bent the Rods, the gasket is all you have to deal with.
Thanks for the heads up.. I'm going to have a mechanic take a look at it and see what they say..