water from the tailpipe at idle, losing coolant and small anti freeze drip

Old 03-03-11, 05:31 AM
water from the tailpipe at idle, losing coolant and small anti freeze drip

I have a 2002 GMC Sierra with 121,000 miles on it. I have water coming out of the tailpipe at idle, I'm losing coolant, having to add to the resevoir every 2 weeks or so, and a small anitifreeze drip that looks to be coming from the water pump weep hole. My plugs look like they are burning clean, nice gray color. No evidence of water in the oil and the engine starts right away and is running as smooth as the day I bought this truck. I've heard everything from head gasket/cracked head to intake manifold gasket to "the water coming out is normal" and "you only have a water pump issue". Any other ideas or information would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-11, 05:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

When does the water come out the exhaust? It's normal for condensation to come out the pipe before the motor warms up. I would be concerned about the water pump!

Old 03-03-11, 06:06 AM
It comes out when the engine warms up a bit and it's a steady drip.

Old 03-03-11, 03:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Your water pump weep hole drip drips all the time, not just when you have it in the driveway, so you are losing coolant continually, and at pressure when driving. Gotta take care of the obvious first. Water from the tailpipe is normal unless it does it all the time. For the most part, water would be vaporized passing over the cat converter if it were an internal leak of coolant. You would smell ethylene glycol from the tailpipe as well.

Old 03-08-11, 09:40 AM
Thank you, I got a referral for a really good mechanic and he's looking at the problem this weekend. I'm kinda new to thie forum so should I post the results in case anyone else is having similar problems?

Old 03-08-11, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Yes please...let us know what happens. Might even want to post back before making a repair decision.

Old 03-22-11, 11:46 AM
Turns out it was just the water pump. The water from the tailpipe was apparently normal. The upside is that now I have a reliable mechanic that I trust.