2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, air leak in cab

Old 03-03-11, 03:06 PM
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, air leak in cab

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab with an air leak in my cab. It just started the other day. My heater works great but the amount of cold air that leaks in is unbearable on the toes. I have replaced the seals around the doors thinking that is where it was coming from but it's still there. When you open the glove box and feel while driving about 70 miles an hour it feels like a fan is blowing cold air at you. I have no idea what would cause an air leak behind the glove box and the cold is more felt on the passenger side than on the drivers side. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-11, 03:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it diesel? If so, your baffle doors and 4wd are actuated using a vacuum pump in front of the power steering pump. Diesels with turbo are positive atmosphere, so the pump is needed. Check the hoses along the cowling to make sure none have pulled loose or cracked. Not having a baffle door that closes all the way will let in cold air.

Old 03-03-11, 04:11 PM
Nope not a deisel, I'm still at a loss.

Old 03-03-11, 04:20 PM
Question

hmm when i turn my fan off heat or cold i always have air coming into the cab. i can adjust it by turning it to heat or cold im guessing when on cold its outside air and when on heat its hot from the engine. when i have the fan on high the fan is really loud inside the dash. sometimes while driving i can hear like a vent door popping closed or something its weird. im thinking door control issue

02 quad cab also

Old 03-03-11, 04:29 PM
I talked with a friend that said it could be bad vent doors near the windsheild wiper motor. Could this be a cause? The heater still blows out hot air where I tell it too so I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the ventilation system but it's all I can think of.

Last edited by cenget; 03-03-11 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-03-11, 05:53 PM
I guess the biggest thing I need to know is, where in the firewall area would air be able to come from and get inside my truck. I know it's not coming from the doors and the little holes that wires go through are going to be way to small for that much air flow (unless every hole was missing the rubber grommet). I honestly have no idea where air could come into a vehicle through the firewall.

Old 03-31-11, 02:28 PM
Another possibility is that the heater control module is/has failing/failed or heater door actuator has gone bad.

Old 04-08-11, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by cenget View Post
I talked with a friend that said it could be bad vent doors near the windsheild wiper motor.
this ^^

flapper door is vacuum controlled, dor is probably stuck part way open when you're adding heat or cool air, that's all you're doing, but still getting raw outside air, happened to my 05 1500, check vac lines