Help! I have a question regarding a 5x8 utility trailer!!!

Old 03-13-11, 07:32 PM
Help! I have a question regarding a 5x8 utility trailer!!!

I bought a used 5x8 utility trailer last year for my dirt bikes. The mesh is kind of sagging in some areas, but that's what I get for buying a used trailer. It gets the job done, but I want it to be a little more sterdy. I was thinking about attaching wood planks on top of the mesh, but not sure how to do that!

So my question is, how do I attach wood planks on top of a mesh utility trailer and what tools do I need!

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-11, 03:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! I would buy 5/4 x 6 decking boards the length of your trailer (or longer and cut them), and drill 5/16" holes from the bottom (so you will miss the mesh with your bit). Then attach the board using 1/4" carriage bolts from the top and a fender washer, lock washer and nut on the bottom. A bolt 2" in length should be long enough to capture the board, mesh, washers and nut.
Tools: drill, 5/16" bit, hammer, wrench or deep well ratchet socket set.

Old 03-14-11, 09:13 AM
That's a huge help! Thank you so much!!

Old 03-14-11, 10:14 AM
Group Moderator
Just a suggestion. I would use a lock nut instead of a lock washer but that is just a matter of opinion. Lock washers usually work well too.

Old 03-14-11, 02:57 PM
There should be metal straps or bars also on the floor holding the mesh. I would also bolt through these to help hold the wood in place. That way it helps hold the mesh and even if the mesh breaks the board cannot move.

Old 03-14-11, 05:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I was also thinking some light angle iron would be a good idea. That would also help keep the wood from warping