2005 silverado wiper problem

Old 03-15-11, 12:23 AM
wwc
2005 silverado wiper problem

I worked on a problem with my 2005 silverado wiper motor today and can't get it fixed just right.
I know from reading here that Gm trucks especially older models have the circuit board problem but i'm not sure how to fix my newer 05 model, the cover has the board already inside and i have a rubber seal around the edges and not silicone like the older ones and even the ends from the wire hook up black box ( not sure what it's called ) have different ends instead of solder joints i have seen on older models so not sure what joints might have a cold solder, they all look good and clean.

My wipers stop sometimes and then maybe real slow when on the fast mode and then sometimes stop all together and start back up later. I found that if i take out the torx screws and lift the lid off but keep the wires plugged in and the back pins making contact and have the white "gear" of the lid separated from the motor white gear the wipers speed up and act normal, so i cleaned some of the red grease out and lubed with 3n1 oil and it didn't help much unless i leave the torx screws loose it seems to load up and drag and the wipers don't move fast.
Or do I need to clean all the oil and grease out and relube with the red grease if I can find it.

What is the fix or do I need to buy a whole new motor.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-11, 07:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would have thought GM would have fixed this in 12 years, but I had the same problem with my 1993 K1500 a few years ago. IIRC it was the printed circuit board that needed replacing rather than the entire motor assembly. A simple fix, and it wasn't too expensive.........because I'm cheap.

Old 03-15-11, 11:29 AM
wwc
did yours work good when the lid is lifted away from the gears like mine?
I know GM moved the motor assembly to the other side of the firewall and made a new cap with the board inside it like mine from your old model but maybe the boards are the same.

Old 03-15-11, 04:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I never took the gear box apart. A friend of mine had to do the same thing to his. It was a plug in module if I remember correctly. Mine exhibited the same symptoms as you describe. New module, no further problems..........until the engine blew up, but that's another story.

Old 03-15-11, 07:48 PM
wwc
Thanks chandler, tonight I took it back apart because it was acting up again.

The board is in the lid and i cleaned it all up and sprayed some contact cleaner on the board and lubed the gears with a better thick oil made for gears etc.. I tried finding someone who sold the gm red grease but couldn't, used a little cable lube on the worm gear also.
seems to be working good now but I'll wait to see how long it lasts before i say it's fixed.
auto parts stores either don't sell the boards or don't know the part number for it.

Old 08-28-13, 07:26 PM
wwc
update

Got the problem back again so I bought a new motor and replaced the whole thing, got it all together and it works now BUT I can't get the wipers to stay in the down park position, when I have it switched to continuous it does fine but when i turn them off they go to the down position and then come back up a quarter of the way back up the windshield. I tried placing the wiper arms on and off in different positions on the linkage spline but I still get the same thing.

whats wrong ? what do I do to correct this ?