oxygen sensor bolts

Old 03-15-11, 07:22 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
oxygen sensor bolts

I have a 97 Tacoma that needs the front Oxygen sensor replaced. The bolts holding the O sensor are so corroded that I'm afraid if I put a wrench to it they will break off. The exhaust pipe is in good shape as is the gasket. Is there any other solution to fasten the O sensor to the pipe or am I looking at a lot of extra work and cost because the exhaust pipe will have to be replaced for two little corroded bolts?? Thanks, JoeA

Old 03-18-11, 09:31 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
O2 sensor

Seems like no one has Toyota expierence including me. The o2 sensor sticks in to the ex flo thru a hole in the pipe. If I got the picture right yours is held on by two bolts welded to the pipe. If they twist off maybe you could clamp the new one on with two hose clamps.

Old 03-18-11, 12:36 PM
I
test test test IB

test test test IB test test test IB test test test IB test test test IB test test test IB test test test IB test test test IB

Old 03-19-11, 05:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I was thinking Toys used studs and nuts as wrench describes, but either way if the sensor needs replacing it needs replacing. Wrench's idea should work, but keep in mind you wouldn't necessarily have to scrap the entire pipe. You could remove the pipe and have the broken stud removed and a new one installed. Any machine shop or even a good repair shop should be able to do that. Exhaust shops probably do it all the time.

Old 03-31-11, 01:08 PM
L
Use heat, either run the engine for 5 minutes or use a torch to heat the bolts, they should come out easily. (follow obvious fire and burn safety, fire extinguisher, gloves etc.) If one breaks and you have access to a welding machine or someone who can weld you could weld a new bolt to the broken end of the old bolt and use a wrench or socket to extract the broken piece. I work in the oilfields of Texas as a Rig Mechanic and broken bolts or hard to remove bolts are an everyday thing, this is a method used all the time and hasn't failed me yet. Hope it helps

Old 03-31-11, 01:37 PM
W
I've never worked on a Toyota but it's cheap to have an exhaust shop install a new O2 sensor bung. Try the heat method that Larry desribed, and if you mess it up it should not be more than $20 to have it fixed.

I put anti-seize compound on pretty much all exhaust fastners except where the manifolds attach to the engine block just for this reason.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: