Dodge Dakota - Power Steering Problem

Old 03-18-11, 07:04 AM
Dodge Dakota - Power Steering Problem

2007 Dodge Dakota SLT 4.7L V8

About a month ago my steering became a little sluggish for two two days. At the end of a work day I checked the level of the fluid and saw that it was below the fill line. I filled it without checking where it filled it too as I was in a rush. That night and the next day the drive steered fine but then it started making a squeaking noise as I turned the wheel. The next time I drove it was fine but it then would squeak as the truck warmed up. About a week later I checked the fluid again and saw I actually put too much fluid in it but again was in a rush and didn't do anything about it. The next couple of weeks the condition was either stiff driving or squeaking noises. With the warmer weather the past few days it has been actually dangerously stiff. Last night I pumped out some fluid to bring it to the proper fill level and thought that it would fix the problem. I still have the stiff steering. There is a little play when straight but there seems to be a very stiff part in either direction before it becomes easy again through the turn. This is becoming dangerous as the truck sometimes jerks more than I want it too.

Not sure if I have messed anything up by overfilling and leaving it so long or if I actually have a pump problem. I do not see any leaks and the system did hold at the overfilled level. This is the extent of my power steering knowledge so any and all help is much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-11, 07:09 AM
sort sounds like a stiff / worn 'U' joint in the steering shaft above the steering gear

Old 03-19-11, 07:50 AM
Thanks for the reply! I'd like some others as well before I make the decision to purchase parts that may not be required.

PLEASE HELP!

Old 03-19-11, 09:37 AM
I'll second newtofta's answer.

It's a common problem.

Old 03-19-11, 11:41 AM
Is this a simple and cheap fix? Does anyone have a diagram of exactly where the U joint is and what exactly needs to be done to change it?