Adhesive to reattach the rubber tread on a sidestep.

Old 03-21-11, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adhesive to reattach the rubber tread on a sidestep.

I have a 2000ish Silverado which had the rubber tread fall off the sidestep. Iíve cleaned both surfaces and tried doubled sided tape already. It stuck to the rubber but wouldnít hold to the fiberglass or acrylic material the side step was made out of. Silicon didnít seem to fair any better. Anyone know what I should use to glue this rubber mat back down? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-11, 04:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Weatherstrip adhesive should work. You should be able to get some at most any auto parts store.

Old 03-23-11, 01:45 PM
marksr, I went out yesterday and got a tube of 3m weather stripping and gasket adhesive, applied about the whole tube to the rubber tread, and placed two 30lb steel plates on the step to hold it firmly down. Just checked it today and while its holding down better than the tape it can still be peeled up. The weather stripping adhesive seems to have dried soft and stretchable. This should last a few months but I'm still open to other idea's if anyone has some. I'm thinking some kind of two part epoxy or maybe some of that glue for fiberglass paneling.

Old 03-23-11, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I think you need to clean the FG sidestep. Mineral spirits should remove anything without hurting the finish. They also have specialty wax stripper at body shops. Maybe even a light sand in the adhesive areas with 400-600 grit.

Is this a factory step or aftermarket? Also...did you use 3M weatherstrip double side tape or the thicker foam stuff? Was the 3M adhesive stuff you used yellow or ???. Did you let it dry on both surfaces then add another coat per instructions?

A whole tube sounds like way too much...I still have a 1/2 tube left and its been at least 5 yrs.

Old 03-23-11, 03:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
While I've never used the yellow weatherstrip adhesive on rubber treads, it's held extremely well on anything I've ever used it on. Would it be possible that it wouldn't dry correctly if too much was used???

Old 03-23-11, 04:14 PM
The side step was cleaned with acetone.
I did not rough it up as it wasn't roughed up for whatever the factory used.
It is the OEM sidestep.
The double sided tape was not 3m brand and was thin. Both sides did make contact with the surfaces but it wouldn't stick at all to the step. I even tired putting just the tape on the step and it didn't hold.
The 3m adhesive I used was yellow (was that the wrong type?).
It is a 1 f/oz tube. The rubber tread is around 3 ft long and 5 inches wide at its widest. The tube gave enough for me to put a ring around the outside of the rubber and sidestep and a bead about every foot.
Yes I let the adhesive dry for around 30 minutes before putting them together. The directions just said till tacky. Maybe I waited too long.
No I didn't put on a second coat. The instructions on my tube didn't call for one.
After putting the surfaces together and putting the metal plates on top I move it around to spread out the adhesive. There are no visible beads so I don't think it is too thick.

My only thought is maybe the temperature is too cold. It's been 40f here for the last couple days. The directions didn't mention working temperature so I didn't think anything of it. Maybe it will harden when it gets warmer.

Old 03-24-11, 04:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You used the type of weatherstrip adhesive I recommended. I've never let it set more than a few minutes before attaching whatever I was gluing up - but maybe I'm just impatient

Cold weather can affect how the adhesive bonds and dries, not just air temperature but the substrate also. It's possible the metal was colder than the air. I don't know if it will adhere better once it warms up but we can hope

Old 03-24-11, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I kinda got my brands crossed. I use Permatex Super weatherstrip adhesive #80. 5oz tube. It says apply a thin even film to both surfaces, allow to dry (thats normally about 10-15 min in normal 50+ temps), then apply a second thin coat to the weatherstrip and bond immediately.

The second coat "reactivates" the dry film, I guess.

For larger surfaces I've used an acid brush and squeezed it on, then quickly brushed it over the surface. It's pretty runny stuff so that works ok.

Old 03-29-11, 04:27 PM
After almost a week the glue has set up and I'm happy with the result. It must just have been the temperature affecting it. Cheers on the good advice.