97 gmc truck fuel pump

Old 03-29-11, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
97 gmc truck fuel pump

I have a 97 gmc k1500 and the fuel pump is loud. so loud I can hear it going down the road over my flowmaster exhaust. Does this mean it is going out? When it is parked and idleing it sound like the fuel tank is viberating could the pump be up against the tank causing this?

Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-11, 02:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Chris, are you sure it is the fuel pump? They normally are immersed in fuel and don't make too much of a racket except for the initial priming action when you turn the key on. Have you gone under the truck with it idling and felt the tank to see if the vibration is actually in that area? If so, you probably do have a southbound pump. You'll probably have to drop the tank on yours to get to it, not sure on the 97's.

Old 03-30-11, 05:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
I agree with chandler. That would be one loud pump. Barring the internal mounting bracket breaking there should be no way for the pump to touch the inside of the tank. Something else you can do is find the circuit to the pump and run a test wire to the hot side to make it run continually without the engine running. Not sure if there's a shortcut to do that on your OBDII, on my '94 wrecker I can jumper pins on the OBD connector and make mine run. This would eliminate all engine and/or exhaust-induced noises. I'm inclined to think something else is vibrating. Be sure to post back when you track it down.

Old 03-30-11, 06:32 AM
I am 100% sure it is from the tank. when I turn on the key the fuel pump it starts to make the humming noise while it is cycling before I start. when it is idling I have felt the tank and it seem to me that the pump is making it vibrate. any way with 194,000 on the odometer I will get a new pump and just replace it. I found that taking the box loose and sliding it back on past pickups works pretty slick. will post back when I figure it out

Old 03-30-11, 07:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
Wow, got a lot of use out of that one; mine are usually good for less than 100k miles. Post pics if you find anything interesting.

Old 04-04-11, 10:04 PM
found the problem the sending unit was bent enough to where the pump was up against the baffle in the tank causing all the racket. now it is so quiet I really have to listen to here the pump. I desided to install a new pump since I had the box off even though the old one seem to run good with the sending unit straitend out