RV Toilet Leak in Back

Old 04-12-11, 02:29 PM
J
Location: Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question RV Toilet Leak in Back

I have a Thetford Aqua-Magic IV Hand Flush toilet in our 1995 JayCo RV. We just noticed that there is a wet spot behind the toilet. When you put your hand up the water feed line to the back where I believe it attaches to the water valve, you feel wet drops. That area is not easy to work in let alone see what is happening.

I figured out using a parts list and diagram that one could remove the "Mechanism Cover" to look closer at the water valve.You can see the cover when you lift the "Seat Cover" and "Seat". However, the "Lever Assy (Assembly?)" feeds through that cover on the right side when facing the bowl. I cannot see nor feel any nuts or screws that might hold the "Mechanism Cover" on and figured it might be just snapped on. I am leery of forcing it off since it is plastic and the flush lever comes through it. Can anybody tell me:

- Will I get a better view of the flush valve so I can assess the problem if I remove this cover?

- How I can remove the cover so that I can see and work on the watre valve (or water feed connection) if it is the problem?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Last edited by jerryd_2008; 04-12-11 at 02:44 PM.
Old 04-12-11, 03:57 PM
J
Received 125 Votes on 110 Posts
Disconnect the water line and the two nuts holding down the toilet and remove the whole thing.

Old 04-13-11, 10:43 AM
J
Location: Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
Joe, thank you for the comments. Sounds like I need to remove the stool to get at the water valve. On the positive side, I tried to hand tighten the water feed connection and it seems like the leak stopped. When I did that it seemed like the nut moved ever so little. I hope that is the fix.

After years of RV use, I have never had a problem with the actual valve or the toilet either. The previous RV owner who owns the park we are in has never seen any such problems either in his many years of use.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on it.

Old 04-16-11, 01:02 PM
J
Spoke too soon. The connection appears to leak sometimes after a flush. I suspect it is the flush valve.

Read on some site that a guy that is a full time RV'er has this problem every year or two. Said it got expensive to fix. He described pulling out the valve from the stool he removed from the floor mounts and then pulling out the valve (plunger?) and replacing a $.30 O-ring with a little petrol jelly on it. Does that sound feasible or even smart for a non-handyman type?

Old 04-16-11, 01:28 PM
J
Received 125 Votes on 110 Posts
Try it and find out, never know if you do not try.

Old 04-17-11, 12:31 PM
M
Remove the toilet from floor.( 2 of 1/2" nuts) When you flip it upside down you'll see the philips screws that hold the cover on. remove them, then the cover and 2 screws hold the water valve on. Pay attention to how you have to turn it in order for the linkage to come out of handle, and remove the valve. replace the water valve with a new one. Available at any RV store, and some department stores now. Comes with new gasket for re-installing toilet. Yes, it is common for them to start leaking, especially after being winterized. The seals will dry out. Sometimes they last 2 years, sometimes 5.

Old 04-18-11, 02:23 PM
J
Thank you all for the advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: