Onan 5000 runs then stops, starts right back up....

Old 05-09-11, 05:57 PM
Onan 5000 runs then stops, starts right back up....

I have a Onan 5000 generator on my RV. I replaced the fuel pump last year. Just got thru replacing fuel line feeding it from main tank. It cranks perfectly. Runs for about 45-60 minutes then shuts off. It will crank right back up and run for a few minutes then shut off again. Oil level is full. Is their a temperature sensor somewhere that may be bad?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-11, 03:04 PM
That would still be a fuel issue - either a restriction/blockage in the delivery to the carburetor or possibly the fuel pump or the venting in the fuel cap on the tank..

Old 05-16-11, 05:15 PM
Went and purchased an after market fuel pump from NAPA. Installed it and ran the generator for over two hours with no problems. It was a little cool today so will test it again on next hot day. Thanks for the input.

Old 05-22-11, 08:29 AM
Just a heads-up in case you weren't aware of it. Not sure what year your Onan is but at one time there was a problem with those drawing fuel into the crankcase (oil) after running for a while without a good load on the generator. Be sure to check oil level for increase, as well as smell of fuel (gas) in the oil on regular basis, just to be sure.

Old 05-22-11, 09:58 AM
Its a 1998 Onan 5000 Genset. Tried running it again today since it is in the 90's here today. Ran for one hour then shut off. I opened the compartment door and running it again just to try and eliminate the over heating part. I will check the oil like you said. It was full when I started the generator.

Old 06-15-11, 03:29 AM
Did you find a fix? We are having the same issue with a Onan 5000 year 1997 with 100 hours on it in our MH. It runs for 5 min then surges and dies. We did a carb rebuild and it ran fine for a hour then surged and died. Now its back to surging & shutting down every 5 again.

Old 05-24-12, 09:54 PM
Just had that same problem with an Onan 6.5nh. I had just done a carb overhaul and went back to recheck everything. The only thing I could find was the float was not set to specs. Adjusted the float and that seams to have stopped my problem. Ran two air conditioners for about 3 hours with no problem. I'm hoping the problem doesn't return.