stuck tong

Old 05-23-11, 10:12 AM
stuck tong

I need some help getting the tong out of my trailer hitch. I bought some rust spray, at the part store, suppose to be the best there is for cutting rust, but it didn't work. I have been trying for the pass three days. The last time this happened, I chained it to a tree, with about four feet of slake and took off. It almost put me through the window shield but it worked, I don't want to try that again. I have tried hammering on it, side to side, up and down, and even tried hammering it back in, nothing. Then I used my 10 ton porta power, pumped a little tapped on it, pumped a little more tapped on, ended up bending the ram, and the tong still hasn't moved.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-11, 11:30 AM
Group Moderator
Do you mean the draw bar is stuck in the receiver? Try using a come-a-long and heating the receiver with an oxyacetylene torch. Be very careful if the gas tank is near.

Old 05-23-11, 11:47 AM
Group Moderator
If you've bent the ram on your porta power I think it's time for the torch. By the way, how did you get it in?

Once you get it out I'd do some work on it before putting it back in the receiver. Sand, grind or machine the drawbar down until it slides in/out of the receiver freely.

Old 05-23-11, 03:16 PM
I didn't have any trouble getting it in, at one time it was lose, you could hear it rattle when you hit a bump. The first time I got it stuck, I ground it down to bare metal, and repainted it. Then I greased it up before putting it back, but it is good and stuck this time. I will try heating it like ray2047 mentioned. I should have heated it before I bent the ram. I had it wrapped with a chain, it kicked out once, but I guess the chain wasn't tight enough.

Old 05-23-11, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
I'm no hitch expert...but have you looked to see if the receiver is bent, using a straight edge? Or does the draw bar extend pretty far out? There has to be a reason why it jams up...rust isn't that strong unless its been in place for years using the ball as an electrical ground maybe. Could be one or the other wasn't heat treated properly and/or your tongue weight is really high?

What kind of vehicle, what grade hitch, and what do you tow?

Old 05-24-11, 11:21 PM
No the receiver isn't bent. I use to pull it out now and then, and grease it. But winter was long, and I don't do cold very well any more, so it has been awhile. I do believe it is just rusted in place. But I will know for sure this weekend. If I drop the spare tire I can get behind, and drive a piece of 2 '' stock in the back. And with so heat like was mentioned before it should come out.

Old 05-25-11, 05:33 AM
Group Moderator
If you get it out it might be wise to pull it out and store it in the truck after each use. Of course here that is an automatic response if you don't want it to vanish in a public parking lot.

Old 05-25-11, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator
Here it has been unlawful to have a removable receiver hitch installed on a vehicle if it is not towing a vehicle.
This has been law for quite sometime but lately our public insurer has been pressuring the police to enforce it.

They claim that the hitch greatly increases damage in a minor rear-ender.
Funny thing is that this does not apply to a fixed hitch.

Old 05-26-11, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator
I actually got pulled over one time back in VA cause I had a ball installed on my bumper hitch and the cop said it made my plate unreadable. Actually gave me a fix-it ticket....I couldn't believe it.

Old 05-27-11, 10:02 PM
Where I work there was a lot of hitches disappearing in the parking lot, I put one of those pins with a lock on it.
The main reason I don't remove it, is because I have been rear ended three times so far, and it has saved me each time. I drive a mini van and that hitch has saved my tail gate so far. And as for not being about to read the plate, there was a rumor on some of the message boards around. It had gotten to the point where a cop, made a post it wasn't a law at least in N.Y. where I am. But I got to looking every time I was out, and the only ones I saw that block the plate, or made it hard to read. Was vehicles with a step bumper and plate in one, and the ball screwed into the bumper. Some of those step bumpers hide the bottom of the plate with out the ball.