Tranny Issue 4l80e

Old 05-25-11, 06:37 AM
Tranny Issue 4l80e

Hi All
I have a 98 chevy 350 3/4 ton std cab/bed 2 wd with a 4l80e tranny.

I only really use the truck around the house to haul light loads, and I only paid very little for it a year ago.

Symptoms - upon starting and driving usaully the first 15 - 20 mins truck shifts fine, all thru all the gears. But after that initial time if I stop at a light or sign and start moving again it wont shift into 3rd. If I run it up to 50-55 it will shift into 4th. Sometimes it stays sometimes it wont. I also notice reverse starting to act up also, shifts into gear but hesitates cold or warm.

I have replaced the rear speed sensor and the crank sensor, I am now not getting any "check" lights. I was getting both eng and abs but not since replacing rear speed sensor.

Fluid is dark - my plan for this is to drain thru plug in pan (if I can remove it) for the next 2 or 3 saturdays then drop the pan the last time and replace the filter at that time.

Is there anything else I should do or check while the pan is off. I thought about replacing the solenoids (all 4) and maybe the harness. (Found a kit with solenoids and harness for $130)

Also read a shift kit may help but I'm not sure about this.

The truck has almost 200k on it, not sure about the eng/trany they have been pulled by someone before. Since it was used Im not real sure of its history. I only really use it for a beater truck and its not really worth putting a rebuild in it

Any suggestions

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-11, 07:16 AM
Group Moderator
You're running the same tranny I have in my wrecker. I've had a few problems over the years, but nothing that matches exactly with your symptoms. Reverse, I think, is a known issue with the direct drive piston; I'm told the factory ones were prone to cracking. Although you said no check lights, have you had it checked for codes? Not sure about your OBD2, but my OBD1 will show tranny codes when there's an issue without lighting the CEL. Given the various symptoms I wouldn't be real optimistic about a cheap fix.

Old 11-18-12, 06:45 AM
4l80e 2009 m1165

Alright guys I need some serious help. We have been trying to diagnose a "no reverse" on one of our M1165a1 w/b3. Bottom line does anyone have the troubleshooting schematic or troubleshooting tree that they are willing to share with a couple of lost Soldiers. I know that it is Sunday and am hoping that we can reach someone. Any help will be appreciated we should be here till late our time, right now it is 544 with my guys.

Thank you