Isuzu 6BD1A repower for '94 F-150...

Old 06-26-11, 03:21 PM
Isuzu 6BD1A repower for '94 F-150...

Just kicking an idea around, here. I may have access to a used Isuzu 6BD1A manufactured in 1981, unknown time, mileage or condition at this point. I do know that I would have to replace the turbocharger (it's missing). The proposed receiver vehicle is my '94 F-150 2-wheel drive automatic. Among the issues that leap to mind are: 1. will this frame stand up to this engine? 2. what about the front suspension? 3. what transmissions are available for such a swap (I'd really like to go with a 5- or 6-speed manual, if possible and practical)? Numerous other questions will come up as/if this project develops, but these are the first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-11, 04:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Turbo, probably a cool $400, plus piping.
1) Frame will probably handle it, but getting adapter motor mounts will be a bear.
2) Depends on the weight of the engine versus the 5.0 you removed
3) All sorts of boogers are coming out of the wall, now. Not only would you have to modify the bell housing, but the final drive will need adjusting to compensate for the diesel. New drive shaft, due to length variation of engine final output location. You got an automatic, now. You will have to reconfigure the pedal set up for a "left foot rest". All your electronics will go berserk, as the differences in engine RPM, lack of oxygen sensors..........I could go on.
If you think you may have opened a can of worms, think SNAKES, big ones.
You could probably do better installing a Ford engine.
Remember, "nothing ain't nothing, but it's free".

Old 06-29-11, 07:00 PM
Or build a vehicle around the engine... This is intended to be a purely fun, hopefully practical and certainly educational project, not one for a vehicle I have to drive all the time and right now. Of course, once all the challenges have been overcome, the frequent driving could (in a perfect world) be much more enjoyable. Still trying to find out, did this engine come in front of a manual transmission in anything it was originally designed for and installed in? Driveshaft is really not an issue; I have access to a competent driveline shop that I would trust to build me one (or two - transfer case, anyone?) Either way, two-wheel drive or four-, I would like as compact a package as possible lengthwise. Again, thanks for any input. Chris

Old 06-30-11, 03:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by CMil View Post
Or build a vehicle around the engine...
There ya go! Take out the driver seat, set it on the driveway and start building around it. May take one or two lifetimes, but you'll get it Just kiddin'. Yeah, now you are interjecting 4wd on a 2wd vehicle, so one more snake to deal with. Good luck!!

Old 07-03-11, 06:25 AM
If I do the 4-wheel-drive thing, it would be a ground-up build - purpose-built chassis, suspension, the works. Still would want it street-legal, so I could drive it anywhere, on- or off-road. As for how many lifetimes this will take, I don't have a lot of money, but I got a LOAD of time!!! Ha ha! - Chris