1990 ford ranger 2.3 starts when air intake is fully blocked

Old 06-28-11, 02:18 PM
1990 ford ranger 2.3 starts when air intake is fully blocked

I have a 90 ranger with 2.3 which has very low miles. A couple of weeks ago, I quite running. I tried a few things and the last one was totally blocking the intake with y hand. When I did that, it started and ran. If I took my hand off of the breather, it would die. Any igeas? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-11, 04:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You're not getting enough fuel to the manifold. Restricting the air intake balances the amount of air and fuel required for combustion, similar to a manual choke. Is it fuel injected or carb?

Old 06-28-11, 07:23 PM
It's fuel injected. What would cause that? Thanks

Old 06-29-11, 03:16 AM
Start with the fuel filter. It could be partially clogged and not letting enough fuel through. From there you can graduate to having the injectors or throttle body cleaned.

Old 06-29-11, 04:33 AM
I just changed the filter. is the throttle body something I could clean or have to tae it to a shop? how about the fuel regulator?

Old 06-29-11, 04:42 AM
Group Moderator
Your next step should be a fuel pressure test. That will tell you if you are getting enough output from the pump. You can also do a volume test.

Some additional info here:

DIAGNOSE FUEL PUMP

This starts to get into the area of a repair shop expertise (and test equipment) vice DIY.

Old 06-29-11, 01:45 PM
Thanks. This was very helpful.
I did not check the pressure but when I unhooked the gas line, it was under a lot of pressure. It seems to get a little fuel but not enough. I cleaned the TB real good today and again blocked the intake and it idles great with the intake blocked bt dies if I let go. I wanted to change the rgulator but based on your article, it actually raises the pressure, so I don't think that is it. I think the injectors are ok, because it idles very smooth(with the intake blocked). The next thing I'm gussing should be the line going to the regulator and the injector to see if it's blocked.

Old 06-29-11, 01:58 PM
Curious question.....do you have an air filter in the housing??? On some cars, if you remove the air filter, too much air volume enters at one time. It needs the drag (and is figured for that) of the filter in the system. You are causing air drag by putting your hand over the air intake, so I was just wanting to clear it up.
Oh, it's a good you were able to remove the fuel line. Usually there's enough pressure to put fuel through your hand, so consider yourself lucky.

Old 06-29-11, 08:13 PM
Yes, there is a new air filter in the housing. It's strange because I almost totally have to block the air intake or it would not start. Yes, the pressure surprised me. I was not expecting it.