How can I get extra water temp cooling in intense Arizona heat?

Old 07-05-11, 12:32 PM
How can I get extra water temp cooling in intense Arizona heat?

I have a 92' Ford Ranger with 2.9 V6. I was driving out in the Arizona desert this weekend, and got caught in slow traffic on the Interstate due to a car accident. My water temp climbed to the high-end of normal range. It was very hot that day. It wasn't A/C, since it is broke

All cooling sytem maintenance and repairs are up to date.

I want to prevent this from happening again. Do any of you have an ideas for getting extra cooling performance? My make/model won't take a higher capacity radiator.

I know they sell those electric cooling fans mounted behind the grill. But aren't those just for increasing A/C performance? Can they cool engine and coolant temp also?

And what about those coolant additives that claim to reduce coolant temp?

With the oppressive Arizona summer heat, I would feel better with some extra cooling.

Thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-11, 01:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dave, I think an add on fan may help. Additives, not too sure on those. On the light side, I was going to suggest mounting a swamp cooler on the roof, but Vic would poo poo it, I'm sure!!!

Old 07-05-11, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
It was high end of normal...so why worry about it? Electric fans can fail..then you'll be really in trouble. Most prob require removal of the mechanical fan I imagine...unless you front mount them.

Old 07-05-11, 02:15 PM
I guess I was concerned because I've spent so much money on repairs and maintenance, new engine included. Water temp gauge went up to 220 degrees Saturday. Does engine damage occur at 230 and above?

Swamp cooler on the roof........................sweet!

I was thinking about getting an electric fan in addition to the standard one. Maybe something I could turn on and off manually.

Yeah, can you believe I'm driving in Arizona in July with no A/C? I spent a ton of money fixing the A/C and it broke in less than 2 years. I said the hell with it. I got used to it. It's more or less like being in a rolling pizza oven

Old 07-05-11, 02:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"It's more or less like being in a rolling pizza oven"

So do you get hungry while driving down the road

You can get the front mounted electric fans but they are harder to find. You might have to remove the AC condenser to make it effective.

When I lived in fla, I didn't have AC Didn't seem to bother me too much but I was young and drank a lot ..... wouldn't want to have to get by without AC today, much less in fla

Old 07-05-11, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator
Can't imagine no A/c either..esp sitting in traffic not getting window airflow, esp in Tucson/Phoenix area. We get hot...but normally 10-15 below you guys down south.

If there is room, you MIGHT be able to fit a front mount fan in..but a good one will prob run over $100 with wire and switches and such.

Why not spend the money on a fan or 2 for the cab and if the gauge starts to climb...turn on the heater. Prob remove more heat than blowing more air through the rad.

Old 07-05-11, 03:04 PM
I think it would be worse in Florida with the humidity. I'll look into the additional cooling fan

Old 07-05-11, 03:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, the humidity makes it worse. I've only been to Arizona once [about 40 yrs ago] and if I remember right, the dry heat was more tolerable [even at 110] but if you didn't watch out you could get sunstroke working outside. In fla, the sweat will pull you down in so fast you wouldn't have to worry about the heat.

Old 07-05-11, 06:56 PM
No A/C in Arizona? I check the NWS each morning and see Phoenix is a tad warm...109/85...no thanks.

I'd go to the car wash and clean the radiator and see if that helps. Not sure this will work but maybe take the thermostat right out for the summer??

You're right worrying about heat and those engines. My son has a Mazda with a Ford engine, absolute nightmare. Cracked/warped heads, warped exhaust manifolds. Not good.

Old 07-06-11, 08:11 AM
On Saturday, I was out driving around in 115 degree heat. I stay hydrated and I'm fine. Plus, Plus I exercise, and I'm in good shape. Thanks for all the responses.

Old 07-06-11, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
Humidity?