RV mounted Onan Generator

Old 01-14-11, 08:03 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool RV mounted Onan Generator

I have an Onan Marquis 7000 Generator in my 1994 34' Bounder Class A RV. It was running fine when I started it one afternoon and then shut it down. Then the next day it wont start. It sound like the starter motor is spinning but not engaging the motor. The batteries are good (13.8) volts and don't drop when trying to start. I am not sure if this has a starter solenoid but it must and I don't know where it is located or where the starter is located since the generator is all cowled up inside the RV. I need to know how to locate the starter and solenoid and how to get to them while it is in the RV.

Thanks,

Ira

Old 01-14-11, 06:21 PM
G
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
It uses an automotive type starter. You are going to have to expose generator to see it. It should also have a solenoid. It would seem that the starter is getting power but the solenoid is not pushing the gear into contact with the fly wheel.

Old 01-15-11, 04:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The solenoid would actuate the bendix gear, which is possibly not slinging forward to engage the flywheel. If it is clicking and spinning, then I don't think it is the solenoid. Does the generator slide out of the RV on an access drawer? If so, you may have to remove the starter to check things out, so that would be next.

Old 01-15-11, 03:22 PM
I
After further checking it seems that the starter is not turning and the solenoid is not actuating. I think what I am hearing is an electrical driven fuel pump. Does anyone know if this unit uses an electric fuel pump.? There is a small canister looking unit on the lower part of the engine that feels like it is running and I think it might be a fuel pump. The unit doesn't slide out and I am having to reach over to the back of it and do everything by feel. That makes it tough when I am not familiar with the generator and where parts are mounted. All help is greatly appreciated. I am 75 years old and have been a mechanic most of my life but I am just not familiar with this generator and can't see the layout to get to anything except by feel. The unit would have to be dropped out the bottom to be removed and I don't have the equipment to do that.

Old 01-15-11, 03:46 PM
Yep, electric lift pump. I believe you surely have a solenoid problem, since the starter is not engaging at all. If the starter was spinning I would say bendix, but sounds a little solenoidish to me. However that may be a bright side. Solenoids are sometimes mounted on the side wall of the unit in a more accessible place.
Does yours start in the cab or at the generator?

Old 01-16-11, 08:54 AM
I
It will start from either place. There is a switch on the dash and another on the generator.

Old 01-16-11, 11:27 AM
OK, using the switch on the generator will put you in a position to listen and "feel" for the problem. Being in the cab is like being in another country. From the switch there is a positive cable. You should be able to trace it directly to the solenoid which I am hoping is pretty close by. Only mechanical engineers can find reasons to hide things that need repair often. And we won't get into the V8 on the 1967 Chevy Nova...#8 plug. You know.
Let us know.

Old 01-18-11, 03:10 PM
I
After further checking today and tearing in as far as I could reach, I found the solenoid behind the panel where the switch is mounted on front. I then found the solenoid is in fact actuating so I was able to reach back to the starter and measure the voltage and I found that there is voltage present at the starter when I press the start switch so I assume ther starter has to be the culprit. I can't get to it to change it where it is mounted and I have no way to remove the generator so I am taking it tomorrow to an Onan repair shop to have it repaired. Ouch. Something I would normally do but as I get older things seem harder to do. I appreciate everyones help and especially chandler. Thanks again.

Old 01-18-11, 07:04 PM
Glad you were able to trace it down. Sad you have to take it in. Good luck and I hope he goes easy on you.

Old 08-17-11, 09:50 AM
M
Where is the oil filter located on an rv onan generator mounted on a slideout tray ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: