2000 Jimmy 4X4

Old 07-21-11, 09:04 PM
2000 Jimmy 4X4

i have a 2000 GMC jimmy 4x4 135,000 miles on her. my problem is my front axle does not in-gauge. The trasfer case locks right into 4hi and 4Lo along with the front drive shaft spining. Now when the vacum pulls in on the cable it stops half way. i have checked acuator (sp) for leaks and there are non that i have found. but when i went under neath to pull on that shaft part it only comes out a half inch and stops.

There are no grinding noises going down the road. i have no idea what could be going on other than maybe the gear is not sitting right in the axle that locks in the front wheels.

and is there any way some one could show me a diagram of the front axle in pieces? it would help alot

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-11, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Hi do you have buttons or shift on the fly?

How do you know its not locking the front axle?

There are alot of possiblitys.

1. The diaphram is under the battery tray and has a vacuum line. These often corode from battery acid and is the common failure. You need to check operation with the batt and tray removed. And the diaphram actuator itself goes bad from batt acid.

2. Vacuum lines. They control alot of things. That diaphram may not be pulling the cable to the front axle because of a slight leak. Often leaks are right off the intake manifold going to that round canister that hangs from the hood drivers side. There are several around the brake master cylinder that become coroded and dry rot.

3. There is a vacuum line that travels from there (master cylinder area) to the transfer case also. It goes to a vacuum switch that diverts the vacuum to the diaphram when the case is put in 4 wheel. These often fail.

4. Then there is the cable itself that goes from the diaphram to the fron axle. These bind up. They are very tight to begin with. Often that cable needs replacing or just a good oiling.

All that is in the front end to engage the 4 wheel is a fork. That rod in the axle ,if you can see it only, goes in and out 1/2 inch or so. To see that there is a cover that needs removal. Is this what you are talking about?

There are aftermarket products that fix these types of vehicles with troublesome engageing issues. Its my opinion they all s**k. Proper maintainance and or repair of the current factory system is as good as you can get. All the other aftermarket stuff is just a cable to the front axle that you manually pull or push with a lever in the cab.

This is what I would not install. I am sure you came across this. I will just say you have been warned. Dont belive all the positive reviews. Those are the guys that could not repair thier current setup IMO.

4x4 Posi-Lok - 4WD Engagement Systems

So check that all outas stated above and let us know.

Mike NJ

Old 07-22-11, 08:34 PM
It is a push button 4 wheel drive but does not work the greatest.
I know that its not locking the front axle because we had the truck up in the air with all four wheels off the ground 4 wheel engage and only the back wheels spinning.

I have checked the diaphram and it seems to be in good working condition.
I have replaced the vacuum switch awhile back.
We replaced the cable last year some time and still made no difference.

And yes the cover for that shaft is the area that i was refering to. i thought it moved much more than that.

The last thing that i know what happened before the 4 wheel drive stopped working was when my brother owned it. He took it 2 tracking. i mean that does really say much.
Maybe more investigating is needed

Old 07-22-11, 08:38 PM
I aslo have another question is it possible that fork got bent inside the axle to prevent it from moving properly?

Last edited by GMCMAN; 07-22-11 at 09:13 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-24-11, 08:10 PM
please i need all and any thoughts on this one.

Old 07-24-11, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
OK I know that there are two different versions of this design. Mine is a 1996 so I have less crap.

Yours I believe has a vacuum switch for the front axle also. ( I dont have )

2000 GMC S-15 Jimmy Front Drive Axle Vacuum Actuator Solenoid Valve for 4WD Models at 1AAuto.com.

Plus the transfer case switch. ( I have )

2000 GMC S-15 Jimmy 4WD Vacuum Actuator at 1AAuto.com.

Plus you have a motor for the transfer case since you have the buttons. ( I have a shifter and only buy trucks with a shift on the fly)

2000 GMC S-15 Jimmy Transfer Case Shift Motor at 1AAuto.com.

Plus the actuator under the battery. ( I have this )

2000 GMC S-15 Jimmy 4WD Vacuum Actuator at 1AAuto.com.

Make sure all these are functioning before you tear into the axle.

I am finding a link for more info for you but at a minimum go to the parts store and buy this book. I have it and I can take a look through it tomorrow.

GMC S-15 Jimmy Repair Manuals at 1AAuto.com

Old 07-24-11, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator
Oh, one more thing, When you had it off the wheels did you notice if the front drive shaft was turning? If it was not then that would indicate the transfer case motor.

Also read the description for each part I listed. It shows a cause or effect if the part is not working.

I would say this is your issue off the top of my head. It may be the switch itself or the vacuum lines going to it. It by the firewall near the distributer.

2000 GMC S-15 Jimmy Front Drive Axle Vacuum Actuator Solenoid Valve for 4WD Models at 1AAuto.com.

Mike NJ

Old 07-25-11, 05:59 PM
ok thanks. and yes the front drive shaft does move. i did look at some of the vacuum hoses and there were some that are dry rotted. but i dont think they went for the 4 wheel drive.

Old 07-25-11, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
The vaccum hoses are all part of the trucks system. If there is a leak in any of them it affects the whole vehicle and anything the vacuum controls.

Mike NJ

Old 07-26-11, 06:23 PM
OK after that being said it cant be the vacuum because after checking out my car yesterday i put my car into 4hi then turn my car off looked at the actuator it was still pulled in half way. no leaks. if there was i would imagine that cable would be pushed back out as if it was in 2 wheel

Old 07-26-11, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator
These devices, even though the vacuum is or may be working, have a switch inside that goes bad. You need to test each part to make sure its functioning.

This is the most common part that goes bad that is causeing your issue.

This is what it says.

It mounts on the firewall near the distributor. This one of many parts in the 4WD system that if defective, it will not allow your front axles to engage from 2WD into 4WD, thus causing your dash switch to keep blinking.

Is you dash switch blinking? Or what are the lights doing?

Mike NJ

Old 07-27-11, 08:43 PM
The dash switch does not blink. It goes from 2hi to 4hi with out any problem along with 4lo.
The Only problem with that dash switch, that i forgot to mention is that the switch its self has a short in it. I have to hold the wires on the back a certain way for the lights to come on and to be able to push the button and engage the 4 wheel drive. now the thing with that is i swapped that switch from my moms 98 jimmy and it worked fine but the front axle still did not lock in. also this told me that the wires on the back of the switch are not shorting out.

That Vacuum Actuator Solenoid Valve i tried looking for it near the distributor and could not find it.

Old 08-19-11, 11:52 AM
well the other day i checked out my 4 wheel drive and the only concustion i can come to is that the fork is bent in the front axle. if i cant engause it with my bare hands something wrong so im not going to even mess with any more!!!