01 Ford Ranger 4.0L idel problems

Old 07-26-11, 03:32 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
01 Ford Ranger 4.0L idel problems

I own a 2001 Ford Ranger 4.0L V6 Edge 2wd single cab. For quite some time now this truck has had trouble ideling. It is not constant. Some times it idels fine but over all seems to be running much crappier lately. Occasionaly when started, hot or cold, it runs really rough barley stays running until it snaps out of it by pumping the throttel. The more pursistant problem is that when im driving and push in the clutch to shift and let of the gas the idel stays stuck up to about 2000 rpm. Once again, its not constant but becoming more and more pursistant. AutoZone told me to clean what i think was the idel control valve or something which was a plunger looking thing mounted right on top of the intake just past the big butterfly where the air comes in. It did not help. Autozone showed two different sensor/ valvue whatevers that can be replaced. One being the one i cleaned for $60 and anouther for $25 dollars. Just wanted some advice before i replaced them due to that i am a unemployed student.

Thank you for any advice,
Kyle.

Old 07-26-11, 01:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Did they put the scanner on it to see if any codes were stored? Might want to do that. Idle air control (IAC) would be what you described. That would be a possible. Throttle position sensor (TPS) also comes to mind, but I wouldn't go just throwing parts at it. Check troubleshooting/test procedures in a repair manual if you have one, or you can check autozone.com's repair section to see if there's a decent test you can try. Wouldn't hurt to clean the butterfly valve and the throat in that area. Remove intake ducting and go at it with spray carb cleaner and a toothbrush.

Old 07-26-11, 02:43 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I did clean out the butterfly valvue with about a half can of carb cleaner when i cleaned the idel air control.. but i didnt have them pull codes.. i will do that and also check autozone.com as well..
thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: