Help! I just bought my first pop up (used) and the plumbing is falling apart!

Old 07-27-11, 08:16 AM
Help! I just bought my first pop up (used) and the plumbing is falling apart!

I just got my first camper, a 2005 Jaycio, Baja! I bought it used off an individual. I put it up in my back yard to give it a good cleaning and got over the manual so I could figure out how everything works! As soon as I filled the water tank and tried using the sink I flooded the camper!

The problem seems to be with the outdoor shower hot/cold handles? But then it also leaked - just for a minute from under the pump??

I have included some pics? If anyone can advise me on where to start looking for information on how to get the system working it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Emmy

IMG_20110727_094323 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_20110727_094259 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMG_20110727_094248 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-11, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
Hi,

Looks like pex pipe. This requires a speacial tool to repair.

You need to just find the leaks and repair. The unit was probably not winterized properly. If leaking from the pump you may just be able to replace the housing if they sell it seperatly. The whole pump might be the same or similar price though.

As far as the outside shower, again you need to identify where the actual leaks are before attempting to repair.

Let us know.

Mike NJ

Last edited by lawrosa; 07-27-11 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-27-11, 11:50 AM
Group Moderator
The pipe and crimp rings look like PEX but I have never seen plastic fittings before. I have never had PEX fail from freezing so I suspect a fitting may be cracked. If it is PEX you could use the brass fittings available from any home center or plumbing supplier, and they would be more resistant to freeze damage. If you know a plumber you can see if they will stop by for the cost of a beer (or other cold beverage) and do the crimping for you so you don't have to buy or rent the crimper.

Old 07-27-11, 01:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dane, who could afford brass fittings on that? There are probably $40 worth of fittings and rings in that one compartment I am like you, I have never seen plastic PEX fittings.
We'll wait on the OP to give us a run down on the actual problems.

Old 07-27-11, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator
I been looking at the jaycos and they are high quality.

Apparently in the RV industry plastic pex fittings are common as well as a flare type pex assemblys.

Plastic fittings for crimp ring

iPlumb.tv - PEX Fittings EcoPoly Bulk

Flare type...Cool I like it. Still need a tool but looks better then the crimp rings. Hey I wonder if we will see this in homes soon. Watch the video.

iPlumb.tv - PEX Plumbing and Radiant Heating Systems

Mike NJ

Old 07-27-11, 06:04 PM
Those are crimped lines used at most manufacturers. Do yourself a favor and once you find where it's all leaking, buy some flare-it fittings, or seatech to put it all together with basic tools, or hands. Seatech are more expensive but they are easy to use. Flair-it is less expensive but require more manual labor. My guess is it didn"t get winterized. Grab a few feet of 1/2 line as well. This stuff is all available from any RV service shop, or dealer parts dept. If you need more direction, let me know. Also, stop at a hardware store and get a pair of cutters for plastic lines, it will save you lots of time and aggravation, and are only about $5.

Old 07-27-11, 06:17 PM
Flair-It Fittings | Mobile Home Parts Store

Here's the flair-its you'll find for your use, above.

Here's the seatech. Quick Connect Fittings - Manifolds - Valves - Sea Tech, Inc.

You'll use 1/2"