Turn signal use constantly disables one brake light

Old 08-09-11, 10:25 AM
Turn signal use constantly disables one brake light

Is anyone well versed in tail light electrical?

I have a 92' Ford Ranger with 2.9 V6 engine. Using my turn signals will temporarily diasable one of the brake lights (won't light up). The failed brake light will not necessarily be on the same side as turn signal used. Then I start engaging one of the turn signals with or without depressing brake pedal, and the brake light will light up again. And the problem duplicates frequently when I use turn signals

I tested the tail lights extensively in the reflection of office building glass, and the problem is definitely tied in with turn signals. This all started after the truck was rear-ended in 2004. Where do I start? Maybe I can figure it out myself?

Thet are no other car light problems, just the brake light thing. Is this a common tail light problem. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-11, 01:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Check the wiring in the light cavity to make sure it is all snug. Also check to make sure they grounded the "ground" wire and not another one.

Old 08-09-11, 02:50 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by light cavity

Old 08-09-11, 04:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
My goof. I re read the post and see where it is a truck, so you access your bulbs from the outside, right? If not, then you have to gain access from behind, in a cavity of the fender. Go up behind the bulbs and see how they wired things back. It seems to me they may have wiring touching or improper grounds.

Old 08-09-11, 05:22 PM
The bulbs are in a cavity behind the tail lamps