91 ford f250 ac

Old 08-21-11, 06:11 PM
91 ford f250 ac

i have a 1991 f-250, i switched it over to r134a a couple weeks ago and it worked fine for about 2 weeks, now the compressor kicks on and off by its self, is there something u can to do fix it besides buying a new compressor and goin through the rechage process all over again? thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-11, 03:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There should be a switch sitting on the pax side on top of the ac piping with a single wire on it. Unplug it and unscrew it. Don't worry, it is a Schraeder type valve and it won't let any stuff out. If it seems dirty, just replace it. Now, that's the first and probably the least expensive thing I would do. I am sure you had the system evacuated of R12 before you injected the R134a, right?

Old 08-22-11, 10:11 AM
The compressor is supposed to kick on & off by itself.. This controls the pressure in the system...Whats happening??? Not cooling & rapid clutch cycling??? Regular on & off with good cooling?? It was evacuated & Leak checked as part of the origional repair, I hope???? Give us some more info about the problem & the pros will get you fixrd up,,,, Roger

Old 08-24-11, 11:28 AM
yea i had it evacuated, and pulled into a vacum. it held over night befor i put in the r134a. it doesnt cool at all any more with the clutch kicking on and off so fast. thanks for the help

Old 08-24-11, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Just wondering....did you replace the shrader valves during the conversion?

Old 08-24-11, 02:08 PM
Sounds to me like it is low on freon. Do you have a gauge to check the pressure?
Should be around 40 to 45 max.