Can't remove power steering cap

Old 08-25-11, 09:21 AM
Can't remove power steering cap

I have a 92' Ford Ranger Supercab with 2.9 V6. How do I remove a stuck power steering cap without damaging the reservoir? It lets me rotate counterclockwise to loosen. But when I try to lift off cap, it gives some and feels like it is hanging up on something.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-11, 05:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It IS hanging up, but only on the rubber baffle under the cap. Once it is loose, just pull up on it and it will come out. The flap type diaphragm keeps the fluid from exiting the cap during operation.

Old 08-25-11, 07:31 PM
I did pull up on it gently. But it wouldn't give. The question is how hard can I pull on it without breaking something?

Old 08-26-11, 11:32 AM
The 1992 ranger doesn't have a rubber baffle on the cap like most other pwr steering fluid reservoirs. Turn the cap counter clockwise, then you'll have to rock/wiggle it a little bit as you pull it off. It's got rubber o-rings that help keep fluid from leaking out of it, and those can hold the cap pretty tightly. I know my 1992 Ranger was a bear to get the cap off of it.

Old 08-27-11, 11:42 AM
I made a slight modification to your instructions below. I not only wiggled it. I also backed off and reversed rotation slightly to the other direction. It came off with very little effort.

Thanks !

Old 08-27-11, 01:26 PM
Glad you got the cap to come off. Ford design...Why they can't use an industry standard power steering pump, cap, and reservoir is totally beyond me.