Ranger won't start

Old 08-27-11, 02:24 PM
Ranger won't start

1996 Ranger xlt 2.3L standard -

Won't start, clicks one time-nothing.
Tried jumping same result.
Cleaned cables, jumped with larger pickup, same result
tested starter at auto parts store - tested good.

Anyone have any ideas. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-11, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
Not sure if it still applies...but Fords always used a separate solenoid on the firewall or fender somewhere back when I worked on them. Thats what actually sends juice to the starter.

Find where the click is happening....

Old 08-27-11, 05:43 PM
Yeah, those inner fender mounted Ford solenoids came in handy when some of us were 14 and wanting to take mom's 289 Fairlane for a ride. A short wire between the battery and coil and a quick jump across the solenoid with a screw driver and off we went.

Just wondering about the jump starting. Did you jump from negative to truck ground, or negative to negative. Did you pull out the old battery and try a new donor one. Could always be a bad cell shorting out and pulling away the power from the good jump battery also. that would be my next step.

Old 08-27-11, 11:15 PM
I did both, although I read tonight that you shouldnt do the neg to neg. I will check the battery tomorrow.

Old 08-28-11, 06:02 AM
When you said you cleaned the cables did you remove and clean all of them? I am especially thinking about the ground cable that goes to the chassis. Did you remove it, sand off rust etc. to bare metal on both the chassis and cable and tighten? Ground cables often are the culprit with things like this. If there is a separate solenoid as mentioned did you also remove and clean all those cable connections also?

Old 08-28-11, 12:21 PM
Did you pull out the old battery and try a new donor one. Could always be a bad cell shorting out and pulling away the power from the good jump battery also. that would be my next step.

yes same result, also took the ranger battery and put it in a mazada and started right up. with a voltmeter reading on ranger battery was 14.08 running and 12.10 with car turned off.

There is a solenoid on the fender that is apparently the source of the click. Next would be to check this and the connection on it and the ground from the battery(ie., ground

Old 08-28-11, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator
Thats what I said originally. The contacts inside eventually wear out from the arc of closing and opening. More than a few Fords have been started by just turning on the ignition to the run position and using a pair of old pliers or jumper cables between the 2 large lugs on the solenoid.

If it's clicking...the control voltage from the ignition switch is working.....just the heavy amps side from the battery to the solenoid and then to the starter isn't getting there.

You can measure the voltage on each of the big terminals to ground. One should be constant 12V...other side should be 12V when the ignition is held to start (after the click). If not...buy a new solenoid......if so...the cable to the starter is either broken or doesn't have a good connection.

Oh....a charged battery should read about 12.5-12.6 or so. Yours was prob a bit run down from troubleshooting.

Old 08-28-11, 09:32 PM
Solution

As both of your responses made reference to it was indeed the 1st of two solenoids (the one mounted on the fender well). Repaired at a total cost of $13. Thank you all for your help.