HOW do I replace a RV wall in my camper that got water damge

Old 09-14-11, 11:32 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question HOW do I replace a RV wall in my camper that got water damge

I had a leak in the back wall of our Coachman Catalina camper. It is on the wall that is behind the bed that holds all of the bedroom cabinets. How do I take it down and replace it? I am handy but do not know how the wall is kept up there and also how the cabinets are attached. Can someone tell me how to go about taking the cabinets down, attaching the wall etc. What kind of a replacement do I get? I have heard that they have replacement walls but they are expensive. Could I just use shower board? Thanks in advance

Old 09-14-11, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
How you replace this wall will depend on exactly how things are fastened to it.

Many campers are built in such a way that each cabinet and feature is built as part of the wall.
To repair this type of construction you would need to systematically dismantle each piece that is attached to the wall.

If you were able to take several clear pictures of the damage, cabinets and anything that is attached to the wall we might be able to help more.
You need to upload pics to a free host like Photo Bucket and either provide a link or use the button above the reply box for them to appear in your posts.

Old 09-17-11, 05:09 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The wall panels are usually held on by crown staples or brad nails with majority being located behind seam tape, or battens where 2 panels meet or behind trim or tape in corners etc and along edge of wall panels, and glue is used on occasion as well, at stud locations. As far as cabinets go, quite often they are 1x1 or 1x2 framed and attached with screws to studs in walls as well. Usually to access the screws, you carefully pry up and out the inside shelves, or outside end panels etc, to expose framing and screws. Look for signs of nails or staples on those panels, along outside edges, that will indicate they have been secured to framing behind it. You'll likely have to remove trim battens to see them. Behind those panels will be the screws securing cupboards and shelves to walls. Take a few measurements and pictures prior so it's easier to put it all back the way it was. Pictures sent as described in other post is also a help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: