axel placement and single or tandem

Old 09-15-11, 05:59 AM
axel placement and single or tandem

I have a crank down wheel fish house trailer I had made but never put a fish house on and now am thinking of putting a straight axel under it. It is 16 ft long 6.5 ft wide made out of 1x3 steel channel. I don't know if I should keep it 16 ft long or shorten up the platform to 14 ft and then I'm wondering if I should go with a single axel or tandem. The axel I am looking at would be a 3500# The problem is I don't need a really heavy duty trailer and looking at the trailers out there this is on the heavy duty side being made out of 1 x 3 channel, just hauling a motorcycle or ATV around but I would like to get some kind of use out of it. Any suggestions would be great as I keep going back and forth on the axels, single or tandem.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-11, 06:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

What's a 'fish house' trailer?

I wouldn't want a good size trailer with only 1 axle. I'd either go with 2 axles on a 14'-16' trailer or use a short trailer with 1 axle - which is all you'd need for an ATV or motorcycle.

Old 09-15-11, 08:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Mark, either shorten the bed to 12' or less using a single axle, or install another axle with brakes. Brakes will go on the back axle only. If you don't think you'll need brakes, that's OK. I only mentioned it so the positioning would be proper. I have a 14' dovetail with two axles and it handles whatever I put on it, from lumber to my tractor, to a car. Axles are set at about midpoint and it balances well.
Hey Mark, a fish house is what yankees use on ice when it gets really cold. Sort of like a duck blind, but with hard sides, refrigerator, you know!!

Old 09-15-11, 05:05 PM
up here in the north we get 3 ft of ice on the lakes and take houses out on the lake to fish from. Have all the comforts of home without the wife. HA HA

Old 09-16-11, 04:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
fish house

I was envisioning some type of mobile 'store' that either bought or sold fish