I ran the seafoam through my ranger and it set the check engine light

Old 11-02-11, 04:28 PM
I ran the seafoam through my ranger and it set the check engine light

Hi all
I ran about a half bottle of seafoam through my 2000 Ford ranger because of quite a bit of pinging, and it really cleaned out something, cause after I restarting like they said on the bottle [can], it smoked for 10 to 15 mins, so maybe it did some good, I haven't tried it yet, but it did set the check engine light. Will it reset itself, or will I have to go someware to have it reset. Truck has 90 K miles and it runs great. Thank you.
Sid

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-11, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
I ran about a half bottle of seafoam through my 2000 Ford ranger because of quite a bit of pinging,
Why!! IMO just snake oil. I guess the pinging did not go away either, correct?

Mike NJ

Old 11-02-11, 05:07 PM
If the check engine light is staying on you need to have the computer scanned for fault codes. Parts outlets such as Auto Zone will do this for free. Start with that and if you come back with the code(s), many here can offer suggestions on what is likely going on. The light will only go out on it's own if the cause of the problem is corrected and that always takes a few starts and warmups. Lots of opinions on products such as seafoam, with many very positive but always some negative, but it sounds like you used it in hopes of removing some carbon build up in the cyclinders I guess. Diagnostic codes will help tell the story anyway, and the pinging could also be related to other things that will show up with fault codes too.

Old 11-02-11, 08:21 PM
also-can just disconnect battery, to just turn eng light off.
with out-retrieving codes

Old 11-02-11, 08:59 PM
It might have smoked up the oxygen sensors and will take a while to burn them clean.

Old 11-03-11, 07:22 AM
The seafoam

That's exactly what happened. I drove about 10 miles this morning, shut it off, and when I started it about 10 min later the check engine light was off.
Thanks for the attention. The pinging seems to have stopped.
Sid