Norcold fridge n821f low ac/ no ac

Old 11-17-11, 03:23 PM
Norcold fridge n821f low ac/ no ac

Ok I have 120v at the supply cord. When cord is connected the back solder at that connection has 120v. With the 5amp fuse out at the fuse clips i have 68v. With the fuse in I have 0v at the fuse connection. No damage everything looks good on both sides of board. The fridge does not register the ac only works off propane. Whats my next step besides replacing board.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-11, 12:45 PM
Test AC voltage at terminals on board where element connects, with it on and calling for cool. (leave door open or whatever) If in propane mode first, and flame lights, it's calling for cool, then switch to AC hydro and test voltage at terminals for element.

Old 11-30-11, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Mike.B View Post
Test AC voltage at terminals on board where element connects, with it on and calling for cool. (leave door open or whatever) If in propane mode first, and flame lights, it's calling for cool, then switch to AC hydro and test voltage at terminals for element.
Only works in propane mode. Will not allow me to switch to ac mode.

Old 12-01-11, 05:38 PM
If you choose automatic, with fridge off, or AC operation with it off , make sure it will call for cool, you should momentarily get a voltage reading at terminals where AC element is connected, even with female spades from element removed when you first turn fridge on. You may have to turn fridge off and back on a few times to catch it. I take it you are not getting any codes on front controls?
There is a way to test your element as well. Shut fridge off. Take an old power cord or extension cord . ( only 2 wire required) Leave the male end on it but cut the female end off. Separate & Strip the 2 wires at the ends and crimp on 2 male spade connectors. Remove (pull) the connectors for the element at the circuit board. Now connect the 2 male spades you crimped on cord to 2 female spades from element, and wrap them separately with electrical tape to protect everything/everyone from shock hazard. Using the receptacle that fridge is normally plugged in to, plug that cord in to it. If stack gets warm/hot as usual when operating properly, and fridge cools good the element is good, and your problem is obviously elsewhere in electrical of fridge. Please be careful, for shock hazard here, and if not experienced in this area, please don't try it, or get someone more experienced to help. Also, be aware that this is only a temporary hook up to test the element and will not shut off until unplugged as all other electrical safeguards, thermostats, etc., will have no bearing on how long it keeps heating up the cooling unit. You have by-passed all those by doing this. This method is also good to try, if a fridge isn't cooling properly and your not sure whether cooling unit is bad or something electrical is causing it. Again, I'm experienced and have done this before and know the safety hazards to watch for, if you don't, please don't try it. As soon as you confirm that element is or is not getting hot and heating up your cooling unit, unplug it and replace everything where it belongs. If your element is easy to remove from side of stack (most are) When working on site I usually pull it out, set it on a surface where I don't have to worry about the heat, like a cement block or brick, and plug my cord in elsewhere. Watch it !! "Be careful" !! If element is good, it gets real hot, real fast. No Hot, It's No good. Replace it if no good and try AC operation with new element. PLEASE, Be Careful. !!