97 ford 5.4 eng gas milage

Old 11-27-11, 09:46 AM
97 ford 5.4 eng gas milage

will having the injecters cleaned help the gas milage?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-11, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
You'll get a lot of opinions on that question. Barring some specific problem, like a clogged injector, I wouldn't expect to see much improvement (except maybe in the profit margin at the place doing the cleaning).

Let's start with basics:

1. What kind of mileage are you getting?
2. What mileage do you expect or what's it rated for?
3. Is all of your other preventive maintenance up to date, i.e. plugs, wires, filters, etc.?

Old 11-27-11, 06:36 PM
thanks for reply tow guy

you hit it on the head ........my mecanic said it needed it because it is old and has lots of miles. to me it runs great lots of pep , runs smooth, idels great. i took it in to get check engine fixed which ended up being the K$N air filter , oil from filter coated sencor in the tube. and changed the pcv valve.he suggested to have my injectors cleaned to help my mileage but it just runs so good and i bought it brand new i should know.I get about 11 in town and 13 on the road .it is rated for 17 on the road. (still have the sticker).yes on the maintenace.about how much should it cost? THANKS SO MUCH FOR RESPONDING.

Old 11-28-11, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
Those injector cleaning services run somewhere in the $50-100 range I think. You can get a fairly good cleaning of the system by tossing some Seafoam in the tank. My wrecker with a 5.7L Chevy motor still has original injectors in the TBI with 600,000 miles; never had an "injector cleaning" done. I get about 8 mpg , which is what it's always gotten and I burn the cheapest gas I can find, usually Sam's Club or RaceTrac.

How about asking how many more miles per gallon the mechanic thinks it will gain and if there is negligible gain, will he refund the price.

Old 11-30-11, 12:14 PM
sea foam

hey your right i tried some seafoam on a 4 cilindyer chevy boat motor and it was awsome.Thak you for reminding me.