Diesel injection pump

Old 01-19-12, 06:54 PM
Unhappy Diesel injection pump

I have acquired a generator powered by a 4 cylinder Ford diesel engine. It is not running. I can turn over the engine but the pump is not ejecting fuel. By opening the "pump window" one can see the drive shaft turning (I have not done this or seen this but a mechanic worked on it and that was his report to me). I pulled it out because i cannot afford the $1200 plus installation he wants for another pump. I am wondering what may be up with this pump. Is there a remedy to get this pump working again? Informational help is greatly needed. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-12, 03:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Not sure what year/model engine you have, and I don't have that much experience on Fords, but if it is set up even remotely like a Cummins, and it has an injector pump go bad, it is not cheap, and there are no work arounds. Now this is assuming you have an injector pump, and are not talking about a fuel pump or lift pump.

Old 01-21-12, 09:13 AM
little ford diesel? sounds like a farm engine. the older ford cars have a 4cylinder mitsubishi diesel. a lift pump lifts diesel from the tank to the injector pump. you probably do not have one...but if you do that is your starting point and they are cheaper than the injector pump. i would have the injector pump tested before i bought a new one. if the pump tests bad, it maybe cheaper to send it away for rebuild before you buy a new one.

and dont forget the basics...put some compressed air in the tank and make sure diesel freely flows to the injector pump. injector pump intake fitting may also have a little dirt/rust screen in the fitting.

Last edited by cerara; 01-21-12 at 09:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-25-12, 12:23 PM
Follow the fuel like from the tank and crack it loose at the injection pump. If fuel is there then crack a line loose at the injector and turn it over. If you have fuel to the injection pump and none at the injector then your pump is probably bad or the fuel shutoff is closed.

Old 01-25-12, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
Certainly check out all the other stuff (fuel lift/transfer pump, cracked fuel line...) because there is no work around for the injector pump. It is the heart of a diesel, much like a carburetor, and is a precision item so a hammer and bubble gum cannot fix them when they get worn or fail.