1988 Ford F-150 keeps breaking serpentine belts

Old 01-07-12, 08:10 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1988 Ford F-150 keeps breaking serpentine belts

I have a 1988 Ford F-150 6cyl. 4.9ltr - and it keeps chewing up serpentine belts - like 5 so far. I have replaced the alternator, power steering pump, smog pump, a/c pulley, belt tensioner, and the water pump was replaced about 3 years ago. All aforementioned parts came with new bearings.
Problem started when the alternator lost a housing bolt, and I replaced the alternator and belt. And yes, I am using the correct size belt. I'm a motorcycle mechanic for 30+ years now, and I am completely baffled by this. PLEASE HELP

Also, I have squared pulleys, and checked harmonic balancer

Old 01-07-12, 09:03 PM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It still sounds like an alignment problem doesn't it? Are you certain that all the new components are identical to the old ones and match their mount brackets the same way and are in fact completely as your checking has led you to believe? What do the belts look like when they break? I am thinking that the condition of the belt is a good start point to understand how it is wearing, tearing or heating up. Is there not any evidence of abnormal belt rib wear, scuffing, pilling, and torn or glazed sidewalls pointing to misalignment?

Old 01-08-12, 05:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
You didn't list "idler pulley"; can't remember if yours would have one or not.

As already mentioned, proper alignment of all pulleys would head the troubleshooting list.

Old 01-08-12, 11:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I know you said you did it, but make sure you straight edge across 3 components. Remember, two points determine a line......3 points determine a straight line.

Old 01-16-12, 06:18 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Only thing that comes to mind that hasn't been listed would be alternator pulley same size as old one, as well as alternator amperage output same confirmed?

Old 01-19-12, 05:03 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Make sure all the pulleys and the belt have the same number of grooves.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: