96 Ram- Clunking when turning right

Old 03-20-12, 01:11 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
96 Ram- Clunking when turning right

Hello,

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 4WD P/U. I noticed that when I slow down to make a right hand turn I can hear a noise that is between a clicking and a clunking on the passenger side.

It stops as soon as I straighten the wheel. It also does it regardless of whether or not I'm braking. It seems to be proportional to the tire speed.

I think it is coming from the front wheel but I really cannot tell.

Does anyone know what this could be? I looked in my Haynes under the Troubleshooting and could not find this problem.

Any help or suggetions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Trip

Old 03-20-12, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Likely you have a U-joint on the pass side front drive shaft going.

They may have CV joints...not sure...but it's something that drives the pass side front wheel.

The shaft turns even when you aren't in 4WD...so when you turn and it has to adjust for the different wheel angle...you get a clunk/click.

Not sure of how the job goes...but I imagine a shop would charge about $300 or so. Prob a good idea to do both sides.

Old 03-20-12, 01:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Reach over the wheel/tire and grab the u joint. If it moves in any direction, that's your problem. Getting the hub off won't be easy. They had to "burn" mine off, torching it until it turned red, then hitting it with a hammer. New hub $600, new U joint $5.25. Let us know if that localizes the problem for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: