Radiator leak. Aluminum to plastic rails on 96 s10 4.3l

Old 06-04-12, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Radiator leak. Aluminum to plastic rails on 96 s10 4.3l

I have had a slight rad leak that has got worse that I cant drive it and finally took the shroud off today to have a look.

Its leaking from where the plastic sides meet the aluminum. I tried to crimp the aluminum to the plastic with vise grips because it looked like the plastic sides are held on with taps bent over from the aluminum core.

It slowed the leak down but I got over zealous and made it leak worse as I continued trying to crimp the tabs tighter. ( Almost worked.)

Here is the best pic I can find of what the side with tabs holding the tank on look like.

Can I fix it?

With that said, I figure it really cant be fixed, so I been looking on line for a rad since dealer prices are outrages. I went to a few sites that have some chat thing and they are trying to tell me its a complicated install...LOL. Need to talk to head tech, and crude like that. Seams like a scam to me.

Other then this place that looks legit would anyone recommend any other places?

http://www.radiatorexpress.com/part_lookup.asp

I found some on amazon but the are labeled as Replacment ( Thats a name brand?)

Also the OE in my link is a one row and a better one is two row. Whats the difference? Do I need two rows...????

I found a coupon online and the two row one comes to $144 tax and shipped. The OE single row is $134. $10 buck difference. High performance one is like $170.

Thanks

Mike NJ

Old 06-04-12, 08:15 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
radiator

you can't really fix it without a machine to clamp the tank down and a new seal under the tank. Some radiator shops say they do it...but can't seem to find replacement seals. They also claim the tanks may be brittle and may crack while attempting to repair, but they always will sell you a new one! lol
Hey I was a Master Tech for 25 years and the best place to buy parts now is
Amazon.Last week got a Tahoe window regulator 30% less than anyone local.

pbr
oh yea, you can try epoxy to slow it down...but gas cars run to much pressure,
diesels can be patched like this.If your lucky..

Old 06-04-12, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
PBR, Here are my choices.

Which would you buy?

And what is the 1 row two row thing mean?

Amazon Part Finder: Slide Show Results

Mike NJ

Old 06-05-12, 03:19 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
lawrosa,
Each row is additional cooling,so the 2 row would be better. However it sounds like OE is the single row and there is no since upgrading unless you had
problems with the temp running high. The link you gave me showed a few more
vehicle options to choose from, this will narrow the selection. Go back and select your trim options,engine, transmission and drive type, that should leave you with just a few choices. Usually the choices will include OE replacement part and after market part.It may also offer a better performing part for additional $$, but depending on what you use the vehicle for ( and the climate and etc..) if the
single core worked ok for you then that's the part to get. If you do a lot of hauling
that makes the truck work hard you might need the extra cooling, then the 2 row
would be a better fit.
Those prices didn't look to bad, follow through and see what you find.

pbr

Old 06-05-12, 04:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I've bought several from radiators.com (including the one currently in my wrecker); good prices and next day delivery right to my door. Not sure about their coverage area and I suspect all the aftermarket radiator sellers get them from the same source, so you can probably shop on price alone.

Old 06-05-12, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator
I went with the delphi one with free shipping for $118. Radiator.com was the one that looked kind of like a scam. They told me my install is complicated...LOL. Just trying to jack the price up I am sure.

Amazon.com: Delphi RA1130 Radiator: Automotive

So the rad comes out easy. One I took off the top shroud, the rad should slip right out after I disconnect everything.

Here are some pics. I will remove it after I mow the lawn today. You can see the part where I said it was leaking from the tank to the core at the crimped part.

Name:  P06-05-12_08.57.jpg
Views: 5465
Size:  31.6 KBName:  P06-05-12_08.56.jpg
Views: 5306
Size:  39.3 KBName:  P06-05-12_08.56[1].jpg
Views: 5817
Size:  29.5 KB

Mike NJ

Last edited by lawrosa; 06-05-12 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-05-12, 06:39 AM
Group Moderator
Good price. Radiators.com is on the up & up. I was a little cautious first time I used them; took me a few minutes to realize that when it opens a chat session to get your info it's not a live person just a computer program. When you work your way through the Q&A it always reaches the point where they give you a price range and then the "complicated install" line. Or alternately that "Bob" the expert for your make & model is out to lunch, can he call you back. You can give their computer "chatter" your # and they will call you with price options (no price surprises) and no hard-sell or you can simply call the 800 number and not play the chat game with their computer.

Old 06-05-12, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Tow guy I am wondering if I should have went with the all aluminum rad???

But it was a shepherd brand..???

Amazon.com: Shepherd Auto Parts 1 Row w/ EOC w/ TOC High Performance All Alumium Engine Radiator: Automotive

The truck is only used around town, 135K. The occasional load of dirt, lumber, etc...

Mike NJ

Old 06-05-12, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
Interesting. Other than performance-type rads, I didn't think anyone was making all-metal rads any more (at least for car and light truck use; the one in the wrecker is all metal). I think you'll be okay, there are millions and millions of cars on the road with plastic/aluminum rads.

Old 06-05-12, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, the all alum was only $11 more. I do not like the brand name though. The shepherd brand with plastic was only $80 bucks. I try not to buy cheapest products. I usually go will middle of road or higher end for stuff like this.

So $118 for the delphi...Hmmm.

Its coming Monday.

Mike NJ

Old 06-07-12, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator
Well the new rad came today. Got the old one out.

Name:  P06-05-12_08.56.jpg
Views: 4781
Size:  39.3 KB

Gee look at all the leaves that were under the rad.... Looks like a mouse was there...LOL

Name:  P06-07-12_14.39.jpg
Views: 5049
Size:  39.2 KB

Rad out. Easy 30 minutes.

Name:  P06-07-12_14.39[1].jpg
Views: 5609
Size:  39.4 KB

Here is the new one from amazon. They gave me a delivery day of Monday the 11th. Came today. Got to love Amazon. UPS delivery.

Name:  P06-07-12_14.46.jpg
Views: 5413
Size:  46.7 KB

I installed it but need to get antifreeze before I test for leaks. Thought I had some in the shed, but it was water....LOL

I am a little mad that I did not get the all aluminum radiator. I went with this only because of the delphi label. The other all aluminum rad was a Shepherd brand..???

I figure the crappy dex-cool may cause issues, like corrosion, on the all aluminum rad where the hoses meet? IDK.

Also the drain was not drill out on the new rad. And you need to install your old drain **** since they don't give you one. I did not drill it. I can do it at a later date if I need to. Its easy to access under the truck.

Over and done with now.

Mike NJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: