Ford E-350 V10 Glub Wagon: Ignition issues

Old 04-06-12, 10:04 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Ford E-350 V10 Glub Wagon: Ignition issues

Purchased this van three months ago.

When running on level ground it seems fine. Idle is smooth as silk and this baby is very quiet. If asked to accelerate quickly or when it hits a hill there is hesitation and loss of power.

Has just over 100,000 miles and plugs may very well be original. This engine model is prone to plug breakage so waiting on doing them until I'm certain this is the cause.

Question: Can a service shop gather any useful information about the problems via the data connector. That is, any more than I get with my $80 code reader... which does not seem to be much even though it monitors some parameters while the engine is running?

Since I suspect there is corrosion on the electrical connections from this van sitting for more than a year outside unused, does it make sense to start by replacing the COP's or the springs inside, first?

Any advice or things to check will be much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this : )

Last edited by outdoormike; 04-06-12 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-06-12, 04:36 PM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If you are not getting a DTC light on the dash the first thing that anyone will want to do is change out those original plugs, and most likely the wires, but yes be prepared for some problems if some are seized inside the threads, and I know people that ended up paying a shop over $500 out the door to get it all sorted out after some plugs broke coming out even on a F150. Your problem really does sound like it could very well be from worn out plugs to me at least at this point. It is under load where high mileage plugs first lose performance.

Old 04-07-12, 11:19 AM
O
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So you're saying it's not likely corrosion may be causing any of my issues with
connections to the ten COP's or the springs that lead to the plugs.

This being easier to address first, I thought it worth a try.

Old 04-07-12, 02:26 PM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Diagnosing problems is always about eliminating possible causes and prioritizing that process based on the easiest and most likely possible causes first. It is always a step by step approach using knowledge, experience, vehicle history, and sometimes alot of luck. There of course could be other things causing this problem that would not trigger an OBD2 dash light, including even things like a clogged fuel filter, and yes corrosion with wiring, but with 100K on the plugs that is the obvious place to start in my opinion. Plug wires make sense also the change out of course at this point too. Also at this point it still sound maintenance related to me, or lack there of.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: