Utility trailer/R side marker/ turn signal doesn't

Old 04-16-12, 08:05 AM
Question Utility trailer/R side marker/ turn signal doesn't

Hi
I spent the weekend trying to chase down a short in my wiring. I finally concluded it would be a whole lot easier to just rewire it. I have lights everywhere but for the right side marker light. I have a parking light there, that works, just the turn signal doesn't. I tried the same bulb on the left side and it works fine. I even went and bought a pack of new marker bulbs. I even went back and ground out the slot to make sure I had a good ground.

I give up, I've spent countless hours trying to figure out the problem. The brown wire connects through the marker to the back lights, they ALL work. The lights on the car all work, (they should it's brand new).

I have to get this thing to pass inspection or I'm in serious trouble.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-12, 08:54 AM
What # is the bulb? and is it a plastic socket?

Old 04-16-12, 09:04 AM
The original bulb # is 193, I think, it's hard to read. The new bulbs are listed as "Side Marker 194 NA"

Not sure what you mean by plastic socket? They are about an inch long and sorta pinched together at the bottom, all glass. Don't see any plastic? It gets pushed between metal clips.

Old 04-16-12, 09:16 AM
The reason I asked what type of bulb and socket is #1156 & #1157 bubs in an old plastic socket sometimes the ground tab don't make contact with the side of the bulb. Seems like that don't apply to your socket. sorry

Old 04-16-12, 09:19 AM
Thanks anyway, didn't hurt to ask

Old 04-16-12, 11:26 AM
Well after wasting the whole morning and now 1/2 the afternoon, I went up and bought a new marker light. It still doesn't work!!

How can it not work?? I have lights everywhere but the turn signal on this stupid marker light.

This light was a bit different, but the concept is the same. The old one had hole in the back of it to shove the wires in, new one has a single pigtail. I put it on the in side of the power, but that really shouldn't make a difference as long as it's connected to power, right??

Old 04-16-12, 01:37 PM
Problem Solved, sorta

I took it up to the local garage and had the mechanic take a look at it. He said it isn't supposed to act as a turning signal, only if it has a yellow or green wire connected to it to make it blink. He says the wire is bad on that side (the blinking side) someplace and is causing contact between the brown and yellow wire. He also said it's no big deal, it will pass inspection. NY law only requires it to shine, not blink.

Thanks for all who took a look, hope this helps someone else.

Old 04-16-12, 01:44 PM
Good for you. Did he inspect it too.

Old 04-16-12, 03:09 PM
No, I talked to him while he was working on somebodies car, got an appointment for the morning though. At least he can't say it doesn't pass this time

Old 05-13-12, 01:12 AM
I had what I thought was a short in my trailer wiring and spent the better part of a day trying to find it. It turned out to be corrosion in the plug from the truck to the trailer. Cleaned it out and all the lights worked