trailer brakes

Old 05-16-12, 01:56 PM
trailer brakes

I don't need them by law, but for piece I would like to put brakes on my trailer for those heavy days. My blazer, came from the factory wired for a trailer. A 4 wire pig tail, for regular trailer, and a 7 wire pig tail for brakes. But my question the extra wires, that are labeled for the brakes are only 16 gauge, maybe 14 at best. Is that right, because the lights are 12 gauge, and don't brakes have more amps, then 16 gauge can handle.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-12, 02:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Really depends on what type brakes you install. Will they be electric brakes or will they be hydraulic operated via the tongue action with electric breakaway? Electric brakes basically send a signal to servos that do all the work, so I wouldn't think the wiring is deficient. Others may have had different experiences.

Old 05-16-12, 06:03 PM
Trailer Brakes

Does the trailer have axles with brakes installed in the wheel hubs? Is the trailer wired for electric brakes?

Old 05-16-12, 08:01 PM
wirepuller38
Does the trailer have axles with brakes installed in the wheel hubs? Is the trailer wired for electric brakes?
Not yet, but the new axle with the brakes is setting in my garage.

Old 05-16-12, 08:05 PM
chandler, ok where is this servo, is it on the blazer, or is it something I need to by.

Old 05-16-12, 08:47 PM
Group Moderator
Assuming these are electric only breaks, the servo is in the hub of the axle. It seams odd that they would have such light wire for the breaks. Are you sure the wire marked "break" is not the wire for the break lights? Best thing to do it to figure out what is what with a test light.

It is possible that it is set up for a trailer that has its own battery and sends a signal like Chandler mentioned. Again, test light.

Old 05-17-12, 06:28 AM
Blazer Connection

A 4 wire pig tail, for regular trailer, and a 7 wire pig tail for brakes.
What sort of receptacle does each of the pigtails plug into? Do you already have a six or seven pin receptacle on the Blazer for trailer connections?

Old 05-17-12, 12:04 PM
Wirepuller38,
What sort of receptacle does each of the pigtails plug into? Do you already have a six or seven pin receptacle on the Blazer for trailer connections?
There is no sort of receptacle on the pigtails. There is about 3 ft of wire, one 4 wire, and one 7 wire, taped to the frame rail next to the spare tire.

Old 05-17-12, 03:13 PM
Wiring Diagrams

You will need these to wire the tow vehicle receptacle and the trailer plug. Scroll down to see the 7-pin configuration:

Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

Your tow vehicle will need a brake controller unless it has one already built in.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

Old 05-17-12, 06:45 PM
Wirepuller38,
Thanks a lot for that link. It is just what I need, to hook up my license plate light. I moved my plate up on the ramp, got tiered of ripping it off the fender mount. I see lots of trailers like that. Coming back from camp last week, I get a ticket, for no light.