LED Tailight bulb replacments?

Old 05-25-12, 09:40 PM
Red face LED Tailight bulb replacments?

For older vehicles using the 1156 and 1157 bulbs, there are LED units available on Ebay for less than a buck.
This would be for trailers as well.

Have any of you tried these?
What happened?
Still have them?
Still working?
Did anybody think to measure the current usage to see if the LED's were an improvement?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-12, 10:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you look close at the ad which I reviewed, these are shipped to you from Hong Kong.

There are some newer generation LED's which meet government and SAE standards for auto lighting, but I would not expect these to be among them.

Yes, they do have a lower amperage draw since they do not need to heat a filament white hot.

Old 05-25-12, 11:33 PM
The problems arise when your vehicle has a computer that senses if the lights are working. My Toyota Camry (1997) has such a system and it will light a dash lamp if any of the rear lights fail. The LED replacement bulbs work fine for someone following you BUT because they draw only a fraction of the current of the original bulbs the computer "thinks" they are burnt out and lights the dash indicator.

Old 05-26-12, 01:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No to mention they are as bright as a Christmas tree bulb. They just don't refract very well through the lenses.