ABS 2001 Dodge Ram Cummins

Old 05-27-12, 06:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
ABS 2001 Dodge Ram Cummins

ABS/Brake lights come on dash. Initially the booster motor would run continually, even with the ignition off. Pulled the fuse and stopped that. I had brakes, just not ABS. Replaced the chunk sensor, but not the two hub sensors. Replaced the ABS controller. THAT stopped the motor from running, and gave be back my ABS. HOWEVER, after I run about a mile the lights come back on. I still have ABS (did forced stops on dirt/gravel with total control). Any ideas how to get the lights to stay off? I have OBDII scanner, but I believe I have to get someone with a DRBII to do it. Also, one problem....it resets with ignition off. So would a scanner even work without the condition existing?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-12, 09:47 AM
Chandler I am thinking that the code may still need to be cleared. Not sure if a typical OBD2 basic scanner can do that even. Code maybe stored in the BCM for instance. Only guessing. Don't know for sure.

Old 05-27-12, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I'll check with my "owie" mechanic and see if he has a DRBII. My OBDII doesn't recognize anything to do with ABS. Thanks for the response. I'll go to the dealer when the lights just bug me to death.

Old 05-29-12, 04:50 PM
With it resetting after key shut off and comes back after mile of driving sounds like bad wheel speed sensor .most abs codes once repaired will go stored and light will go out ,if you have access to drb 111. Read speed sensor while driving should match speedometer.

Old 05-29-12, 05:50 PM
Thanks jktune. I thought it was after driving a spell that the lights would come on, but I noticed it is associated with the engine alone. The truck can be sitting still after starting, and about 3 minutes the lights illuminate. No wheel rotation. I think I'll take it to the Dodge stealership on Thursday for a fleecing and DRBIII reading.

Old 06-08-12, 05:23 PM
Update....the module must be "married" to the engine VIN. Spent $40 for Dodge to tell me they couldn't do it. Well kiss my grits. The rebuilder was very accommodating and concerned. He rebuilt my core and sent it to me free of charge (I will return his). Installed it and after a mile of driving all is back to normal. Live and learn.

Old 06-11-12, 04:43 PM
Glad to hear it was a easy fix.All abs modules are vin related at a dealership level our scanners will let us update modules but wont let us change its specific hardware and software.Sorry dealer couldnt help you.