Mobile home to regular hubs

Old 05-27-12, 06:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Mobile home to regular hubs

I have a home made trailer that I use to load up my ZTR, and other wide stuff for maintenance. It has mobile home hubs/wheels. I can drive nails, but some mechanical things like this zip right over my head. Is it possible to change the hubs to a regular 5 lug hub and use regular wheels/tires on the trailer. MH tires aren't meant for highway use and I feel they are somewhat dangerous. Besides being Dayton style and a royal PITA to change tires. Also, do you think a place like Northern would have conversion kits if that is what I need? Thanks.

Old 05-27-12, 10:00 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think that most mobile home axles will take 8 lug wheel hubs as they often use a common spindle with trailers. I doubt you will get a 5 lug to work. The key difference between trailer and MH axles is the thickness of the tubing. MH can be 3/16 and trailer are 1/4. I think that MH axles are only rated at 6000 lbs. also. If you were hauling distance and weight you would also want to upgrade the axle tubes, but I think that is not your case.

Old 05-27-12, 10:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Larry, I don't know if they can be converted but I have a tandem axle trailer with drop axles. It takes the same type of wheels/rims that MHs use. When I bought it back in 1991 it had tires with regular tread. Those have long since worn out and I replaced them with MH tires/rims because I could do so for free The rims are identical but the tire is different. I know the original type tires should do better in the rain but I've never noticed a big difference. You should be able to go to a tire store [that caters to farmers] and order the tread design you want.

Old 05-27-12, 11:45 AM
Thanks, guys. I think I may combine the information and look into changing the axle as well, if the price isn't too prohibitive. 8 lug wheels will be a bear to obtain, so unless a 5 lug design will fit, I'm gonna be thinkin' axle change time. MH tires are 16.5, I believe. Some weird size that most dealers don't carry. I'll try one of our locals to see if they can accommodate.

Old 05-28-12, 05:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I don't know if the MH rim sizes have changed or not but my trailer's original rims and the MH tires/rims I replaced them with are 14.5" We have a local tire store that also deals in tractor tires. Had I not lucked up on the MH tires he was going to order me a pair of 14.5" tires - I don't remember the price

Old 05-28-12, 05:16 AM
I think you are right on the size as being 14.5" rather than 16.5". Maybe they can order a set of road worthy tires in that size, wire brush the rims (good shape, except for a little rust), and save the cost of the axle. Thanks.

Old 05-31-12, 08:53 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The spindle should be similar to a standard trailer spindle. Take it apart and get good measurements of the spindle... Pay attention to the length and the area where the bearings ride. See the chart here: Rating Trailer Spindles | etrailer.com See if there are part numbers on the bearings as well. You should be able to order standard hubs for that.

Old 06-02-12, 05:18 AM
Thanks for all the responses. It has finally come down to $$$. Changing the hubs means not only hubs, but new wheels, tires and air. I have found a source of 14.5 trailer tires (not mobile home), and have plans to remove existing tires, wire wheel or sand blast the old rims, paint them up and install new tires. I have two trailers and 6 rims, so I will have spares for each.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: