1988 F150 fuel problem

Old 06-25-12, 07:23 AM
1988 F150 fuel problem

My son's truck has been running ok. He has replaced fuel filter and fuel pump. It has fuel at the valve in injector line. It started once for a short time then died and will not restart. I don't what to tell him to check next. any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-12, 08:55 AM
Group Moderator
Well, before going past the fuel pump I would get a gauge on it to make sure you're getting the proper pressure.

Old 06-25-12, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Just wondering.....if it was running ok...why replace the pump?

Is it port injected or throttle body?

Old 06-25-12, 01:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think it is TBI. My 93 was (RIP). If it were diesel I would say you have an air embolism, which you may have with gas, not sure. It is a column of air locking the fuel from flowing. You have head pressure, but no fuel is getting past the air pocket in the fuel line.

Old 06-30-12, 07:01 AM
I don't remember if I ever saw a 88 F 150 with just one tank. Mine and all the others I recall seeing had two tanks (about 18 gallons each). Two tanks means two fuel pumps, the tank changeover switch was on the dash, left side of steering wheel. I do remember seeing trucks that had problems with the switch.

Old 06-30-12, 09:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Joe, IIRC it was the switch over relay that was bad. I had a 93 (that wasn't part of the recall) that exhibited the recall signs. Switch from back tank to front and the pump would pump it al back into the back tank as you drove. Problem arose when your back tank was full to begin with. Where to put the extra fuel. Aaah, open the gas cap Just don't do it with a flame around.

Old 07-01-12, 12:39 PM
My point was that there is more than one fuel pump. In fact, IIRC, there is a pump in each tank and a high pressure pump external to the fuel tanks, that makes three fuel pumps total. OP, which pump did your son change?

Old 07-01-12, 01:57 PM
Just a question. As the truck will not start has it been confirmed that the plugs are giving spark. Just that the thread so far is around low or no fuel pressure only, and depending how I read things from the beginning I had to ask this question. Not saying that it is not a fuel pressure related no start condition, but curious around other things too.