Marshall Brass Co. Model 230 propane regulator

Old 07-01-12, 08:13 PM
Marshall Brass Co. Model 230 propane regulator

Someone gave ma a 1984 Coachman 34' RV. It's in remarkable shape but naturally, there are a few things I need to fix. Right now I'm struggling with the propane system. It has a Marshall Brass Co. model 230 two stage regulator. The gas flow is extremely low. The indicator at the top says the full tank is nearly empty.
I have to live in this thing for the next two months while damage to my home from a speeding car is repaired (the car was in my bathroom). Anyway, I need to cook in there and the flame on the range is very, very low. Is there anything I can do to this regulator to fix that. I checked for leaks already.
Let me diverge for just a moment. This thing must have been pretty expensive when it was new. I was amazed that all the cabinets are solid red oak. Not just glued together either. They have proper rail and stile joints.
Any help on the propane problem would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-12, 03:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Remove the cap and change the pressure on the outlet side. It may help.

Old 07-02-12, 03:51 AM
Now I saw a white cap and unscrewed it. Under that was something that looked like it could be adjusted but not knowing what to do at that point I left it alone until I heard from someone who knew something. Which way do I turn it?

Old 07-03-12, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator
Clockwise would raise the pressure.

Raising the pressure might tell you if the regulator spring is weak and just needs a minor adjustment.
You need to be careful however because if any of the orifices on the stove are plugged causing the low flame you could make the pressure too high for any other appliances you may have.

You would do well to troubleshoot your problem using the procedure a gas tech would use.
The proper procedure would be to use a manometer to measure the pressure after the regulator.
Most appliances require 11 inches of water column ( 11"WC )
If you do not want to to purchase a pressure gauge to do this an RV service tech may be able to help.

A simpler way to diy would be to purchase a new regulator that is preset to the correct pressure.

Old 07-06-12, 07:33 AM
I bought another regulator but it was one from Lowe's and not an RV regulator. Anyway, I hooked it to a tank and I still had the same problem. I got underneath and looked at the tubing. It starts off with 1/2" copper and the first T is the range and it reduces the branch line to 3/8" steel. I managed to get the trunk line off and I swore I could see daylight through it. I bought new 3/8 copper but balked at spending $11 for a union so I could join the new copper to the steel line under the range. So I put a cylinder under the rv, attached the regulator to a piece of propane tubing and hose clamped it to the tube going to the range. It works fine so I guess I am replacing ALL the 3/8" tubing under there.