Question about steering repair

Old 07-16-12, 08:54 AM
Question about steering repair

I have a 92' Ford Ranger Supercab with 2.9 V6 and over 300,000 miles. Truck is pulling heavily to the right and something is clicking inside the steering column when I turn the steering wheel. I've already been told that the steering coupling is worn (rubber thing). There is also a ruptured rubber boot at one of the front steering/suspension components also.

I knew a mechanic once who had a contract repairing and maintaining airport shuttles. He told me that he replaced steering columns on those vehicles sometimes. Is it possible that would be needed on my 20 year old truck? I've never heard of steering column replacement. Is this just for heavy use commercial vehicles? Just trying to learn ahead of time to control costs. Thanks, Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-12, 09:36 AM
Group Moderator
I've had more than one steering rack replaced but never the column.

Old 07-17-12, 10:16 PM
Thanks for replying Mitch. Yeah, in the 20 years my truck has been in the family, the steering gear has been replaced twice. Oh, my right front tire only had 20 PSI. It has a nail in it. Silly me. Gee, you think it might alleviate the pull right problem if I put some air in it ?