94 k 1500 rear end

Old 07-29-12, 08:02 AM
94 k 1500 rear end

I had the trany replaced last year. Last week there was a little oil on the floor under the rear axel. I looked this morning It looks like it might br leaking from the front of the drive shaft or from the rear cover plate. My question is there a seal that the drive shaft slips into or do you think the gaket on the rear cover is shot. How do you ck the oil level in the rear? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-12, 10:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a plug on the differential that takes a ratchet or ratchet and extension [square hole] You remove that plug and if the oil is level with the hole - it's full. You'd use 90w gear oil to replace any missing oil.

Clean up the exterior of the diff and in a day or so you should be able to pin point the leak.

Old 07-29-12, 11:46 AM
There is a front seal that probably is leaking and blowing gear old across the bottom of the diff housing. Need to remove the drive shaft/U/joint and then remove the large flange with a puller that is attached to the input shaft of the diff. There is a procedure to do this that must be followed which relates to pre-load pressure on the front bearing when all is being reinstalled. Once the flange is removed the seal should easily come out and the new one re-inserted. We you pull out the seal be prepared to lose of gear oil. Need to know exactly how many turns it took to remove the securing nut however and this must be repeated when reinstalling the flange. If you over-tighten the flange nut you will destroy the bearings.

Old 07-31-12, 10:34 PM
Many differential housings have a small vent tube that goes up higher than the axle and sometimes even into the trunk area. Check it out to make sure that the hose isn't loose or broken.

Last edited by allpauwork; 07-31-12 at 10:51 PM.